Electioneering has started | Page 15 | Vital Football

Electioneering has started

That is quite a change in approach, if true.

During exit negotiations, the one thing that the EU were most adamant about was that the UK could not cherry pick the parts of the relationship they would ideally like to keep.

Starmer has also been clear about not rejoining the EU OR being part of the customs union OR being in the single market. Clearly, we would not want to adopt the Euro or be tied to any rate mechanism or be in the Schengen area.

The only other suggestion I can think of is that it was rumoured that the EU may have said that the UK could have limited access to the market in return for making monetary contributions again.

You could understand why that was rejected, at least until the EU starts importing as much from us as we do from them.
They made offers around veterinary rules that would have made the export of food from the UK easier for our farmers. They also made an offer around reciprocal visa rules. That would have been particularly helpful for service industries that have people working in the EU for extended periods of times like engineers and architects. It would also have eased the need for carnets for the movement of equipment. That’s been a particular concern of performers like musicians who need to transport equipment. Each time the UK has refused on the basis that it (apparently) ties us to EU rules. The visa relaxation was rejected because of the paranoia about ‘control of borders. Of course everything is going swimmingly well as is so clearly demonstrated by the fact that we don’t seem to have two brass farthings to rub together.

Steve Baker, remember him? Refused agreements such as the Veterinary one because it would be anti Brexit for accepting EU rules. :rolleyes:

Classic 'dog in a manger'. The behaviour of fanatics. So damaging.

It will take at least a decade of competent Government to undo the harm inflicted on us in the last few years and even that is being optimistic imo.

Steve Baker, remember him? Refused agreements such as the Veterinary one because it would be anti Brexit for accepting EU rules. :rolleyes:

Classic 'dog in a manger'. The behaviour of fanatics. So damaging.

It will take at least a decade of competent Government to undo the harm inflicted on us in the last few years and even that is being optimistic imo.
I think Krishnan Guru murthy described him best.

They made offers around veterinary rules that would have made the export of food from the UK easier for our farmers.
Doesn't veterinary rules suggest live exports?

If so, there are other good reasons to be unenthusiastic. I thought Michael Gove was actually going to ban the practice.

Of course everything is going swimmingly well as is so clearly demonstrated by the fact that we don’t seem to have two brass farthings to rub together.
Whereas "going swimmingly" would describe the German economy and the popularity of their government, I suppose - or is it still a coalition?

There are a few things going on in the wider world that may have some influence, last I heard.

Whereas "going swimmingly" would describe the German economy and the popularity of their government, I suppose - or is it still a coalition?

There are a few things going on in the wider world that may have some influence, last I heard.
Unless you are genuinely stupid (I don't think so) you know full well why the German economy is struggling. The Tories desperately use Germany as a (lone) example of an EU country doing worse.

Just in case you don't know, the Germans were almost totally reliant on Russian energy. Funny how the Tories keep using Ukraine as an excuse but don't mention Germany have been hit far more.

Jonathon Gullis being openly blackmailed on Twitter by Reform's Richard Tice threatening to release dirt on him is a bit problematic for me.
My head says, as a sitting MP then I should probably defend Gullis against the potentially illegal actions of an arrogant bore and lover of the limelight. But then I also consider Gullis an arrogant bore and lover of the limelight.
Maybe I should just reach for the popcorn.

Gullis strikes me as a strange person. Appears to have "issues".
In spite of him being a Tory attack dog I almost feel sorry for him. Very mixed up. Prone to outbursts in Parliament where he shows he doesn't understand what's going on or what Parliamentary conventions apply.

Ironic that he is on the end of a dirty tricks campaign, given his past outbursts, but overall I don't approve of that being done to anyone.

Doesn't veterinary rules suggest live exports?

If so, there are other good reasons to be unenthusiastic. I thought Michael Gove was actually going to ban the practice.
No. It’s about veterinary checks on food products.

Checks at EU Border Control Posts (BCPs) or points of entry in Northern Ireland​

If you’re exporting food or drink that contains POAO to the EU or moving it to Northern Ireland, you must get it checked at an EU BCP or Northern Ireland point of entry.

These checks are made to protect:

• animal health and welfare
  • public health
Your goods may be refused entry, seized, destroyed or returned to Great Britain if they arrive at:

• a port or airport in the EU that does not have a BCP that can carry out checks
  • an EU BCP or Northern Ireland point of entry that cannot check your type of product
  • an EU BCP or Northern Ireland point of entry without the correct documentation
The checks referred to be must be carried out by a vets army expert. A big problem has been the lack of such experts to do the certification.

Unless you are genuinely stupid (I don't think so) you know full well why the German economy is struggling. The Tories desperately use Germany as a (lone) example of an EU country doing worse.

Just in case you don't know, the Germans were almost totally reliant on Russian energy. Funny how the Tories keep using Ukraine as an excuse but don't mention Germany have been hit far more.
And you don't think that any energy bills were affected over here when the Ukraine war started, also affecting the overheads of every household and business in this country so soon after a thing called Covid?

Do you not pay energy bills yourself?

So the Germans can make a terrible strategy decision (being even more reliant on Russia than us) and yet be getting everything so right at the heart of the EU at the same time?

Jonathon Gullis being openly blackmailed on Twitter by Reform's Richard Tice threatening to release dirt on him is a bit problematic for me.
My head says, as a sitting MP then I should probably defend Gullis against the potentially illegal actions of an arrogant bore and lover of the limelight. But then I also consider Gullis an arrogant bore and lover of the limelight.
Maybe I should just reach for the popcorn.
Gullis represents the worst of the Boris era intake of MP’s, totally not fit for office and has somehow managed to be deputy chairman of the party, says a lot about the judgement of those above him.

Aggressive, loudmouth, populist who is only interested in shouting louder than anyone else rather than debate.

And you don't think that any energy bills were affected over here when the Ukraine war started, also affecting the overheads of every household and business in this country so soon after a thing called Covid?

Do you not pay energy bills yourself?

So the Germans can make a terrible strategy decision (being even more reliant on Russia than us) and yet be getting everything so right at the heart of the EU at the same time?
You know full well that I realise worldwide energy prices increased and everyone suffered. You know full well why Germany suffered more than most. It may well have been a bad decision to be over reliant on Russia; it was nothing to do with them being in the EU.

The Tories trot out Germany doing worse as if it's something to do with being an EU country and an excuse for their performance.

Have I claimed they get "everything right"?
Saying one country is doing better/worse than another does not mean the other country/s are all bad or perfect. Your attempt at arguing a point seems incredibly simplistic. I'd have been disappointed if one of my students at school had argued a point at that level.

As someone who reads a lot of international news, I’ve concluded that most countries have exactly the same problems, to a greater or lesser degree, whether they have a right leaning government or a left leaning government.
It’s obvious that governments are the problem.
For example Spain has been to the left of centre for quite a few years but they are still unable to resolve the problem of high unemployment.
Youth unemployment in Spain is still around the 30% mark and general unemployment is around 12%.
We would be horrified by those numbers.
Most European countries have much higher illegal immigration levels than we have yet we can’t escape it in the news. They present it as a uniquely UK problem.
My point is, as always, that it’s the same everywhere.

Every time you think the Tories can’t get any more sleazy another story comes out that is so bizarre you’d be laughed at for suggesting it’s possible.

Enough is enough.

Fantastic series, by a respected journalist David Aaronovitch, by a respected media company, with first hand accounts by those at the coal face on both the LOTO and HQ side, that really drills down in to what happened during the 8 years of Corbyn.

It'll be a tad more balanced that the above far left anti semitic wet dream that you've posted a link to.

Last edited:
Rwanda Bill:
Lord Anderson of Ipswich (Crossbench), "We are in the end game now"

"The benefits of the Rwanda bill remain to be seen"

"It's costs will be measured not only in money but in principles debased"

"Disregard for our international committmments"

"Avoiding statutory protections for the vulnerable"

"And the removal of judicial scrutiny over the core issue over the safety of Rwanda"

"We are concerned over the safety of Rwanda both in the present and in the future. This bill is honest about neither"

(At 6-45) "The Rwanda bill is a legal fiction that makes the law look like an ass, and those who make it, asses"