Electioneering has started | Page 14 | Vital Football

Electioneering has started

Simple formula (my theory):

Conservative - primarily motivated by individual self-interest (what's in it for me?)
Labour/Liberals - motivated by the greater good of wider society

Simple choice.
My oversimplification:

Right wing: your attitude and effort dictate your success or otherwise

Left wing: your circumstances dictate your success or otherwise

BBC News - Theresa May to stand down as MP at next election
No great shock one of the last law abiding Tories goes.No great fan of hers but at least she was a traditional Tory.The difference with the Post Boris brigade is vast .
Tactical voting could see the Maidenhead seat falling to the Liberal democrats or even Labour.
Sorry Chris, despite her religious background, this woman is yet another hypocrite of the highest order. Absolutely, 100% failed to support police when the rank and file was telling her the Service was failing, letting the public down and was in decline - only to be accused of crying wolf ! Worst Home Secretary ever IMO and leading architect of the woeful, frail state our current police and other sections of the criminal justice framework exist within. Good riddance !

Tories were known as the party that helped people help themselves.
They became the party that just helped themselves.
What a Labour government under Starmer will bring, I genuinely don't know. But it surely cannot be worse.

Apologies if I've missed any mention of George Galloway but I'd just like to say I can't stand the narcicistic carpetbagger.

Vile so called "left wing" version of the haters on the right of the Tory party, promoting division. To partially quote him, he and the Tory right are two cheeks of the same arse.

Has no interest in Rochdale.

Thinks he is important. No. Will be kicked out at the General Election. Good riddance when that happens. Sadly, as with the right wing haters, he'll always draw a minority of support who think "he says it as it is". Populist shit.

Con man like Johnson. Still think Johnson was worse and more damaging to the country as he gained real power and trashed the country and its conventions.

Apologies if I've missed any mention of George Galloway but I'd just like to say I can't stand the narcicistic carpetbagger.

Vile so called "left wing" version of the haters on the right of the Tory party, promoting division. To partially quote him, he and the Tory right are two cheeks of the same arse.

Thinks he is important. No. Will be kicked out at the General Election. Good riddance when that happens. Sadly, as with the right wing haters, he'll always draw a minority of support who think "he says it as it is". Populist shit.

Con man like Johnson. Still think Johnson was worse and more damaging to the country as he gained real power and trashed the country and its conventions.
It’s extraordinary that he has this pull on Muslim votes when he was endorsed by Nick Griffin. Are they mad ?

It’s extraordinary that he has this pull on Muslim votes when he was endorsed by Nick Griffin. Are they mad ?
Scary and sad that so many voters are ill informed and gullible. I find people like Galloway deeply offensive.

The people fooled in Rochdale probably have no idea what he's really all about, ie, himself.

Sorry Chris, despite her religious background, this woman is yet another hypocrite of the highest order. Absolutely, 100% failed to support police when the rank and file was telling her the Service was failing, letting the public down and was in decline - only to be accused of crying wolf ! Worst Home Secretary ever IMO and leading architect of the woeful, frail state our current police and other sections of the criminal justice framework exist within. Good riddance !
Haha, I knew the Police hated her, understandably. They still vote Tory in their droves though. Wonder if they've managed to kick the habit this time round.

Edit. I wonder why the Tories are trying to restore the numbers of Police they cut when May told them that reducing their numbers would not affect the service. :rolleyes:

Galloway is much in the same mould as any other opportunist politician, Farage, Johnson etc. Except he doesn’t mind cosying up to regimes like Russia, Iran, Iraq and Palestine. If he makes a few quid out of it that’s what matters.

Useful idiot some might say.

Has anyone else seen the Ad that the Tories put oit attacking Khan re the London Mayoral election.

Hilarious. So bad I thoight it was a spoof. They had to withdraw the first version as it showed panic stricken commuters fleeing violence in the Underground. It turned out that the scene was in New York!!

Even the second version is risible. Apparently black hooded ULEZ enforcers are stalking the streets, people are afraid to go out at night and car drivers can't move. Khan "seized power". And there was me thinking he was democratically elected.

Looks like I won't be able to drive down to watch the Gills today then. Better stay in bed. Too dangerous to pop up to my local 'spoons now. I'm terrified :eek:

Can find the second version on Novara Media. The whole thing is voiced over by an American. Strange choice for so called "patriots".

Last edited:
Has anyone else seen the Ad that the Tories put oit attacking Khan re the London Mayoral election.

Hilarious. So bad I thoight it was a spoof. They had to withdraw the first version as it showed panic stricken commuters fleeing violence in the Underground. It turned out that the scene was in New York!!

Even the second version is risible. Apparently black hooded ULEZ enforcers are stalking the streets, people are afraid to go out at night and car drivers can't move. Khan "seized power". And there was me thinking he was democratically elected.

Looks like I won't be able to drive down to watch the Gills today then. Better stay in bed. Too dangerous to pop up to my local 'spoons now. I'm terrified :eek:

Can find the second version on Novara Media. The whole thing is voiced over by an American. Strange choice for so called "patriots".
Tories resort to Trumpism. Who'd have thought it

I laughed at the other Tories advert.
'Vote for Reform and get Labour'
Yet another clumsy attempt to try and rubbish everyone else because they have absolutely nothing positive left to say about themselves.

Yet another clumsy attempt to try and rubbish everyone else because they have absolutely nothing positive left to say about themselves.
And what are Labour's "policies" on anything substantial ?

Is Labour's claim to "positivity" ....
"We can't be worse than the other lot" ?

And what are Labour's "policies" on anything substantial ?

Is Labour's claim to "positivity" ....
"We can't be worse than the other lot" ?
I suppose their best claim is indeed that they cannot possibly be more corrupt, more self serving, more arrogant, more inept, more internally in turmoil than party of the current government.
That will be good enough for most voters.

Reform appear to be a home for the harder right and Telegraph/Express Tories who don't think the UK is quite isolationist enough.
There is a massive hole at the centre of politics and my hope is that Starmer can ease Labour there and make an honest fist of it.
He will be hampered by inheriting a country in a very sorry state after 14 years of Tory misrule and decline.

Remember their threat of "Coalition of chaos" if Lab and SNP joined to get a majority.

Just think of the chaos of the last 5 years, with a party that had an 80+ majority!! Utter shambles (even taking account of Covid and Ukraine).

I very much want Labour to win the election but worry that with so much to fix there simply won't be enough money to go around. Am seriously pessimistic at the moment.
I think there’s more scope than people imagine. Markets are scared by borrowing but not all borrowing. Truss’s borrowing simply for tax cuts were poison to the markets. Borrowing for investment is far less spooky for them. Investment in public projects is actually a good way of boosting the economy which is why cutting HS2 was such a bizarre decision by the government. I also think there’s scope to reduce a lot of the post Brexit bureaucracy that’s been a drag on exporters. Various suggestions have been made in the past by the EU all rejected by the UK.

I think there’s more scope than people imagine. Markets are scared by borrowing but not all borrowing. Truss’s borrowing simply for tax cuts were poison to the markets. Borrowing for investment is far less spooky for them. Investment in public projects is actually a good way of boosting the economy which is why cutting HS2 was such a bizarre decision by the government. I also think there’s scope to reduce a lot of the post Brexit bureaucracy that’s been a drag on exporters. Various suggestions have been made in the past by the EU all rejected by the UK.
That is quite a change in approach, if true.

During exit negotiations, the one thing that the EU were most adamant about was that the UK could not cherry pick the parts of the relationship they would ideally like to keep.

Starmer has also been clear about not rejoining the EU OR being part of the customs union OR being in the single market. Clearly, we would not want to adopt the Euro or be tied to any rate mechanism or be in the Schengen area.

The only other suggestion I can think of is that it was rumoured that the EU may have said that the UK could have limited access to the market in return for making monetary contributions again.

You could understand why that was rejected, at least until the EU starts importing as much from us as we do from them.