Electioneering has started | Page 13 | Vital Football

Electioneering has started

A dreadful look, but not surprising given the awful way in which HMG has mis-managed and stripped public services bare over the past 10 to 15 years.

Unlike quite a few on here who seem traditional Labour voters, i`m actually more of a floater (behave - nibbles!). However, whilst still not sure where my vote will go, I am absolutely certain it will not be for the conservatives

Gillsbluenose makes a point about the traditional "Pensioner vote", generally ticking the Tory box. That`s true, but so is his/her suggestion that the conservatives have become their own worst enemy. I genuinely believe that, notwithstanding the Triple-Lock, this government has well and truly lost a huge chunk of the pensioner vote having presided over a disgraceful, reckless shredding of values and services.
Which also makes another bit of Tory incompetence hilarious. Rees-Mogg admitted that photo ID had been intended as a bit of voter suppression only to find that it affected older people more than young ones having thought it would be the other way around. Is there anything they get right.

Last edited:
What I find fascinating is the idea that you can win a general election when you’ve pissed off farmers, fishermen, civil servants, local authority workers, anyone working in the legal profession, prison officers, teachers, doctors, all other NHS workers, railway workers, anyone using railways, anyone claiming benefits, anyone relying on local authority services, small and medium size exporters, anyone running a small business, anyone who cares about the environment, more specifically anyone who is worried about global warming, anyone who cares about meeting our world obligation to refugees, house renters, frustrated would be home owners, anyone living in a building with unsafe cladding, anyone who thinks a government shouldn’t bung money to their mates, anyone who’s children would have benefitted from Erasmus, anyone derisively described as ‘woke’ (otherwise defined as caring and respectful), anyone who enjoys swimming in the sea, anyone who enjoys the arts. I’ve probably left a few out.
Yes, but amazingly many people still do.
"Yeah but Labour would be worse and are bad with money". That's after a five year utter shitshow preceeded by 9 wasted years of austerity.

This lot are so bad I'd regard a Government led by the likes of Clark and Grieve as brilliant by comparison, and that's coming from a long standing "leftie".

Horrible confected culture wars and division and sewing hatred of "others" is their MO now. Venal.

Baroness Warsi called them out the other day for these tactics as they have no policies to solve the real problems.

Scorched earth policy to leave Labour in the shit if they get in. Scrapped non dom policy purely to f#ck up Labour's modest plans. Not done for the good of the country, having sworn blind that these people will leave the country if such a policy were adopted.

If Labour dare suggest anything bold they'd be roasted by the media and the gullible public stick with the Tories 'cos they'll be scared of tax rises, in spite of the Tories tax rises. Then wonder why nothing works any more. I could weep.

Last edited:
Which begs the question how are they still polling at even 20%? Who on earth are these people?
People like the twat I met in my local 'spoons yesterday who likes Suella as she "speaks the truth" and the Muslims have taken over. Insisted the Palestine marches were "hate" marches and told me the MET had not arrested any of the marchers. I said they had but he laughed at me and suggested I check the MET's records. Arrogant twat. So confident that I suspect people would believe him.

I fact checked and discovered my familly contact had personally interviewed two of those arrested!!! They had knowledge of 360 arrested (although quite a lot of them were EDL lowlife who'd attacked the Police when supposedly "defending" the Cenotaph from no one).

Ps. I do accept there are some "haters" but they are in a tiny minority, same as at the Gills when that racist was kicked out.

"Yeah but Labour would be worse and are bad with money". That's after a five year utter shitshow preceeded by 9 wasted years of austerity.

This lot are so bad I'd regard a Government led by the likes of Clark and Grieve as brilliant by comparison, and that's coming from a long standing "leftie".

Horrible confected culture wars and division and sewing hatred of "others" is their MO now. Venal.

Baroness Warsi called them out the other day for these tactics as they have no policies to solve the real problems.

Scorched earth policy to leave Labour in the shit if they get in. Scrapped non dom policy purely to f#ck up Labour's modest plans. Not done for the good of the country, having sworn blind that these people will leave the country if such a policy were adopted.

If Labour dare suggest anything bold they'd be roasted by the media and the gullible public stick witb the Tories 'cos they'll be scared of tax rises, in spite of the Tories tax rises. Then wonder why nothing works any more. I could weep.

Thats the thing, if you look at when Labour have won since 1974 its Blair or nothing. Suggesting anything bold gets shot down as unrealistic.

The key is to get into power, act responsible and look responsible then find more money by growing the econemy and do the bold stuff. When the sky doesnt collapse on itself and you let people see the benefit only then can it work.

In opposition its all theory and can be shot down easily. Now I happen to think if they went bold now, yes it would still win them the election but by a smaller margin. And we cant risk letting this lot back in.

But by setting the tone now as realistic anything they do achieve will be seen as a win in difficult circumstances, in the long run may be worth another election win rather than "we will do all this stuff" and then when they do it its simply expected rather than lauded.

People like the twat I met in my local 'spoons yesterday who likes Suella as she "speaks the truth" and the Muslims have taken over. Insisted the Palestine marches were "hate" marches and told me the MET had not arrested any of the marchers. I said they had but he laughed at me and suggested I check the MET's records. Arrogant twat. So confident that I suspect people would believe him.

I fact checked and discovered my familly contact had personally interviewed two of those arrested!!! They had knowledge of 360 arrested (although quite a lot of them were EDL lowlife who'd attacked the Police when supposedly "defending" the Cenotaph from no one).

Ps. I do accept there are some "haters" but they are in a tiny minority, same as at the Gills when that racist was kicked out.

Yeh but people like him want their version of the truth. They have alternative facts.

They are a minority and you will never get through, truely a lost cause who will always be the victim (and call everyone else soft or snowfalkes) and the "you cant be english anymore" brigade. Very small faction who think they are larger in number than they are. A bit like the real far left. Go so far one way you end up the same as the other end of the extreme.

Reactions: PuB

If Labour dare suggest anything bold they'd be roasted by the media and the gullible public stick with the Tories 'cos they'll be scared of tax rises, in spite of the Tories tax rises. Then wonder why nothing works any more. I could weep.
I told ya !
Book another holiday 😉

And it wasn’t that long ago that Lee Anderson whilst still a Tory and still the Vice Chair of the Party, admitted that ‘culture wars”would be their main election strategy. How pathetic is that from a government.

Yeh but people like him want their version of the truth. They have alternative facts.

They are a minority and you will never get through, truely a lost cause who will always be the victim (and call everyone else soft or snowfalkes) and the "you cant be english anymore" brigade. Very small faction who think they are larger in number than they are. A bit like the real far left. Go so far one way you end up the same as the other end of the extreme.
This is the thing, the vast majority of people in this country are more compassionate and more kind than the current Government. Their unnecessary lurch to the right has alienated many people, including long term Tory voters.

The strategy they’re employing is awful and it’ll be even worse if they get booted out and Braverman wins the leadership.

Thank you
We do
Determined to have less things and more experiences.
I'm lucky enough to have a similar lifestyle to Shotshy. I thank the Welfare State for this. Housed me and looked after my health when I was in desperate need. Thanks to that I"ve been able to make myself comfortable in retirement.

Loads of people have worked as hard as me but are not as comfortable.

My kids work as hard as I did and will be worse off (in spite of doing socially useful jobs). They won't be able to afford to live where they were brought up.

Ps. Agree re experiences over things.

They really are taking the piss. Fortunately within ten months they will be gone .The absolute corruption and toxic behaviour will be hard to match.
I am looking forward to a qualified barrister taking the the key's to number ten it is what our politics needs more than ever. I hope Starmer uses the skills he has to prostitute those who have been responsible for the widespread corruption of the last decade or more.

I'm lucky enough to have a similar lifestyle to Shotshy. I thank the Welfare State for this. Housed me and looked after my health when I was in desperate need. Thanks to that I"ve been able to make myself comfortable in retirement.
Loads of people have worked as hard as me but are not as comfortable.
My kids work as hard as I did and will be worse off (in spite of doing socially useful jobs). They won't be able to afford to live where they were brought up.
Ps. Agree re experiences over things.
I am much like you, 58.

Got away with working 35 hour weeks for no more than £20k a year but was too conscientious for my own good so always worked hard and took the job home with me. The career did come with a decent pension though so I am comfortable and will add the state pension this year.

Nowadays none of the big earners seem to be at the coalface. They are in cr@p like recruitment, IT and things they can do on a screen working from home.

I wish there were more people around like your kids and that their contributions were better recognised but the economy seems to be moving away from rewarding people that actually DO things rather than organise and facilitate others to do them.

BBC News - Theresa May to stand down as MP at next election
No great shock one of the last law abiding Tories goes.No great fan of hers but at least she was a traditional Tory.The difference with the Post Boris brigade is vast .
Tactical voting could see the Maidenhead seat falling to the Liberal democrats or even Labour.

I am much like you, 58.

Got away with working 35 hour weeks for no more than £20k a year but was too conscientious for my own good so always worked hard and took the job home with me. The career did come with a decent pension though so I am comfortable and will add the state pension this year.

Nowadays none of the big earners seem to be at the coalface. They are in cr@p like recruitment, IT and things they can do on a screen working from home.

I wish there were more people around like your kids and that their contributions were better recognised but the economy seems to be moving away from rewarding people that actually DO things rather than organise and facilitate others to do them.
Spot on and thank you.

BBC News - Theresa May to stand down as MP at next election
No great shock one of the last law abiding Tories goes.No great fan of hers but at least she was a traditional Tory.The difference with the Post Boris brigade is vast .
Tactical voting could see the Maidenhead seat falling to the Liberal democrats or even Labour.
Brexit infighting saw most moderate Tories start leaving the pond.
The folly of crowning Johnson leader drained more of the few decent MPs until just a puddle remained.
That tiny puddle will have evaporated completely by the end of this year.
All self inflicted.

Last edited:
Kemi Badenoch says that Brexit has been a great British success worth hundreds of billions of pounds. I'm not sure that even the most ardent of leave voters would agree with that. Mind you it was in the Express so she is preaching to the converted.