The National league... | Page 3 | Vital Football

The National league...

I have been to dozens of non-league games down the years from step 1 to step 6 and i dont think i've ever had a bad experience. Its friendly and welcoming.

I was disappointed when Barry left given how well he had done the previous season, I think he deserved a chance.

Oldaker was clearly talented but maybe he had a touch of the Luke Rooneys

I was disappointed when Barry left given how well he had done the previous season, I think he deserved a chance.

Oldaker was clearly talented but maybe he had a touch of the Luke Rooneys

Think alot of us questioned bringing Jackson back over Fuller and swa it as a step backwards. Whilst Fuller was no TAA, defensively he was still a better option than Jackson.

Agree, Oldacker had ability and you'd have to question why it didn't work out for him (not just here but anywhere) and the obvious answer is his application/right attitude wasn't there.

Last edited:
Think alot of us questioned bringing Jackson back over Fuller and swa it as a step backwards. Whilst Fuller was no TAA, defensively he was still a better option than Jackson.

Agree, Oldacker had ability and you'd have to question why it didn't work out for him (not just here but anywhere) and the obvious answer is his application/right attitude wasn't there.
Agreed but that seems to be something that is repeatedly happening. It is something Harris need to address. For years many of our lads have had enough ability in my view. I wonder if in areas where their is even less employment weather kids are that much more determined to make it work. Harris has to convince the youth that they have a fantastic opportunity. Perhaps that has already started I am sure Matty Jarvis tried to sell that message to them as well.It is perhaps the most important ingredient that a lad needs.

I think with Oldaker I recall after he left us, (basically because Steve Evans didn’t want him at the club) he rejoined Hythe Town who he’d played for on loan before, but this article hints he’d lost his way a bit and he was in a better place when he left Hythe compared to when he joined.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/hythe/sport/amp/oldaker-departs-cannons-257907/

Soccerbase also shows he had previous spells with Billericay and Welling but very few matches played / I think that was due to covid shutdown at that level as the seasons never resumed and it was voided for one or two years?

Maybe it is just as simple as there are more players of professional standard than can fit into pro clubs, supply outstripping demand as it were.

There must be an awful lot of players around the same standard virtually indistinguishable from each other many of whom will drift into non league for various reasons.

Spot on. Talent, application and dumb luck all play their part, but supply and demand trump all. Same in every desirable field. Some fabulous musicians plying their trade on the streets of Canterbury eg.

Good luck to Ebbsfleet this afternoon (3pm). If they beat Chippenham they`ll be in the Play-off Final v Dorking next week.

I shall be watching today`s Northern s/final and will be hoping for a play-off loss by a team called Boston - it would be the second of a team called Boston that ive watched in 24 hours...........

Good luck to Ebbsfleet this afternoon (3pm). If they beat Chippenham they`ll be in the Play-off Final v Dorking next week.

I shall be watching today`s Northern s/final and will be hoping for a play-off loss by a team called Boston - it would be the second of a team called Boston that ive watched in 24 hours...........

Ebbsfleet won 1-0 in extra time with a goal from a certain Lee Martin.

Boston won 2-0 at Fylde with two late goals and go on to play York City for promotion.

In the NLS play-offs Ebbsfleet beat Chippenham 1-0 aet and will now play Dorking next Saturday in the Final.

I attended AFC Fylde v Boston United which ended 2-0 to Boston, who dominated Fylde throughout. Fylde`s owner will not be a happy chap this evening ! Even the match-day announcer had had enough ten minutes after the full time whistle as he exclaimed to the Boston fans, loudly and clearly over the tannoy, "Get off the fuc*ing Pitch " . Boston will play York City in the NLN Final.

Just reading about Dorking's win against Oxford. This was from the Oxford mail.
" Dorking doubled the lead.
City were a man down defending a corner with Zico Asare receiving treatment and Dorking made the advantage count, with captain Fuller anticipating a flick-on to slam home at the back post".

Fuller v Martin on Saturday then.

Just reading about Dorking's win against Oxford. This was from the Oxford mail.
" Dorking doubled the lead.
City were a man down defending a corner with Zico Asare receiving treatment and Dorking made the advantage count, with captain Fuller anticipating a flick-on to slam home at the back post".

Fuller v Martin on Saturday then.

Both would have probably been an improvement for us this season.

So with Ebbsfleet in the final, I heard it was at Dorking away, is this because Dorking finished higher in the league, and is it a one off game? I'd like to see the Fleet win it, rub the old squatters up the wrong way.

So with Ebbsfleet in the final, I heard it was at Dorking away, is this because Dorking finished higher in the league, and is it a one off game? I'd like to see the Fleet win it, rub the old squatters up the wrong way.

are we not nearer to the fleet than charlton?

I make it 12 - Halifax. Chesterfield, Stockport, Notts County, Dagenham & Redbridge, Wrexham, Grimsby, Yeovil, Torquay, Barnet, Aldershot and Southend.

You could also go down into the National League North (Boston, Darlington, York, Hereford, Chester), plus Maidstone from NL South
Yep. Seen us lose at home to almost all of those,, in the League, (iirc the exception is Boston). Perhaps that's why I'm not too stressed about our present position given what I've seen over the last 57 years.

UTG's
:-)

Oldaker had a great eye for a pass and good ability on the ball. He struck a mean dead ball too but the rest of his game failed to match that. He is one paced and can't, or doesn't get about the pitch enough. Other players have adapted to those limitations but it appears he can't, or won't. I'm sure he's entertaining to watch at a lower level but he would have contributed nothing to our last campaign.