The National league... | Page 2 | Vital Football

The National league...

The likes of Wrexham & Stockport would be strong promotion contenders in L2.

I definitely would make Wrexham amongst the favourites, if they went up, purely on the basis of their much-publicised Hollywood backing. Does anyone know whether Stockport have backing? I'm fully aware that they had serious financial problems and plummeted down the leagues, recovered and have flown back up the leagues, but has this been purely a resurgence or have they been bankrolled like Wrexham? To come up from the National League and be promotion contenders straight away, I would think momentum alone is not enough and they'd need good money behind them to push for promotion in their first season. And I don't know much of their story as hasn't been as public as Wrexham.

I don't think many of the other Conference playoff contenders would threaten too much straight away on promotion. I personally would prefer to see Solihull go up as it's a new team to play and I like to see different names make the league. Former league teams returning to the league after relegation is about as interesting as Fulham, Watford, Norwich and Bournemouth yo-yoing between the Prem and Champ!

I definitely would make Wrexham amongst the favourites, if they went up, purely on the basis of their much-publicised Hollywood backing. Does anyone know whether Stockport have backing? I'm fully aware that they had serious financial problems and plummeted down the leagues, recovered and have flown back up the leagues, but has this been purely a resurgence or have they been bankrolled like Wrexham? To come up from the National League and be promotion contenders straight away, I would think momentum alone is not enough and they'd need good money behind them to push for promotion in their first season. And I don't know much of their story as hasn't been as public as Wrexham.

I don't think many of the other Conference playoff contenders would threaten too much straight away on promotion. I personally would prefer to see Solihull go up as it's a new team to play and I like to see different names make the league. Former league teams returning to the league after relegation is about as interesting as Fulham, Watford, Norwich and Bournemouth yo-yoing between the Prem and Champ!

Stockport have been bankrolled in much the same way as Wrexham have this season, just without the Hollywood connection. They signed Bolton’s captain in the January window for example (his name escapes me, something like Saravic).

Stockport have been bankrolled in much the same way as Wrexham have this season, just without the Hollywood connection. They signed Bolton’s captain in the January window for example (his name escapes me, something like Saravic).

I'm guessing the lack of Hollywood names is why this escaped my radar. Sounds like they could be a threat and also sounds like, like Bolton, they haven't learned lessons!

I'm guessing the lack of Hollywood names is why this escaped my radar. Sounds like they could be a threat and also sounds like, like Bolton, they haven't learned lessons!

Yeah they’ve gone about it quietly really. My guess is that both them and Wrexham will be able to outbid all current L2 sides in terms of wages, contract lengths and/or transfer fees.

Neither clubs having learnt the lessons from their very recent pasts.

I believe that for the last season and a half Stockport has been funded by a very wealthy man from the Stockport area called Mark Stott. The team has highly rated players in it and they even outbid Bolton Wanderers for Bolton`s captain, Antoni Sarcevic, when his contract came up for renewal at the start of the season. Stockport also signed Paddy Madden this season.

But, neither Stockport nor Wrexham can compete financially with Salford City who, after (yet again) narrowly missing out on this season`s play-offs will spend big on players for 22/23. They will also be moving into a new ground within a year or so. On purely financial grounds, they should walk the league - but we all know that`s far easier said than done !

There is a trend for non-league teams to 'buy their way into the league in recent years, we've seen it with the likes of Fleetwood, Forest Green, Salford and Burton. Yeovil spent big and made it all the way to the championship before crashing and burning. Some of those clubs have very small average attendances, certainly smaller than Wrexham's.

Stockport and Wrexham's wage bills must be eyewatering. There are other big spenders down there such as AFC Fylde. Look out for clubs who gain rapid promotions through the leagues, they are usually being bankrolled and/or are Phoenix clubs with large fan bases.

In the National League South play-off quarter-final Dartford were beaten on pens by Chippenham last night, meaning it will be the latter that visits Ebbsfleet United at 3pm on Sunday in a one-off game to contest a place in the Final (& promotion to the National League Premier).

Anyone looking for a footy game to attend over the weekend could do a lot worse than get to Stonebridge Road. Another Kent club in the NL (Maidstone will also be there next season) will help Kent football and, being mercenary, provide our Mr Shorey with even more scouting potential.

I remember Mozzer telling me early in the season that Dartford would win that division by at least ten points.
He was 100% correct about Forest Green though.

I remember Mozzer telling me early in the season that Dartford would win that division by at least ten points.
He was 100% correct about Forest Green though.

Sad for Dartford. I`ve always had my money on Ebbsfleet United to go up. They have home advantage v Chippenham and if they beat them they will face either Oxford at home or Dorking away in the Final.

Maidstone United, who have gained promotion automatically, have had a terrific season.

My best mate is a Maidstone fan and he reckons they have put a really good squad together with ex Gill Tom Hadler between the sticks.

My best mate is a Maidstone fan and he reckons they have put a really good squad together with ex Gill Tom Hadler between the sticks.

Never been to Stones but watched few YouTube clips and appears some nice football being played,

Never been to Stones but watched few YouTube clips and appears some nice football being played,
Ditto, never been.
Highlights of most of there games are available on YouTube and I agree, they have some good players and play in a decent style.
Much more along the deck than Gills although obviously quite a few misplaced passes.
Also a couple of strikers who know where the net is.
They have a huge defender who has really good feet.
A bit of a twinkle toes although he is packing a bit of timber.
They are hoping to keep the team together and do ok in the National League.

I have never seen a lower league game and probably never will.
is this similar to prem fans who would never watch anything below the prem?

I have never seen a lower league game and probably never will.
is this similar to prem fans who would never watch anything below the prem?
Depends how low you want to go Jerry 😂
There seems to be some pretty good players in non league who, after simple research, you find out that most started off at quite high league clubs.
How and why they have ended up there?
They all have their own story.
It’s often about how they mature and adapt to competitive league football.
Remember Oldacker at Gills.
Huge prospect but I’ve no idea where he is now and if he’s even playing.

Been to Maidstone a couple of times, my sister lives not far from the ground and her boys are just getting into football. Noisy crowd goes non stop, and the players really engage with the fans. Helps when you win the league though!

No more beer in the stands now they are promoted!. Yes they play on the ground, but that's because of the pitch, kick it in the air, and you'll never control it

Not sure how they'll do next year, Gateshead in the North got a lot more points

Depends how low you want to go Jerry 😂
There seems to be some pretty good players in non league who, after simple research, you find out that most started off at quite high league clubs.
How and why they have ended up there?
They all have their own story.
It’s often about how they mature and adapt to competitive league football.
Remember Oldacker at Gills.
Huge prospect but I’ve no idea where he is now and if he’s even playing.
Oldacres now at Dorking who won their playoff semi this afternoon, didn't play , perhaps injured? Barry Fuller did play though and scored!

I have been to dozens of non-league games down the years from step 1 to step 6 and i dont think i've ever had a bad experience. Its friendly and welcoming.

Much more along the deck than Gills although obviously quite a few misplaced passes.e team together and do ok in the National League.
TBF, Maidstone play on a 3G and probably have a good budget at that level and play some really poor teams, so it’s probably in their interests to play to their strengths and outplay some pub teams. We were playing the likes of Sunderland, Ipswich, Pompey, Sheff Weds last season, so trying to get it down and outplay teams like that was never an option. Will be interesting to see next season under a new manager with a completely different squad and playing weaker teams whether we change our style. Equally, the Stones will be playing teams like Chesterfield, Grimsby, possibly Wrexham and co season, so are unlikely to be able to outplay them, so it’ll be interesting how their style adapts.