Post Brexit (n/g) | Page 66 | Vital Football

Post Brexit (n/g)

Four of the world’s top ten universities are in the UK.
None are in the EU.
That’s the reason that they are keen for the UK to rejoin their scientific community.
It’s not for any other reason.
They need access to the best science.
The same with Surrey Satellite.

Imagine for a moment if you will, you’re a library and you share your collection of books with 28 others, each able to look at all books at anyones request. Then imagine one day thinking it’s a silly idea and you’d rather be independent so cut ties, suddenly you have access to 1/28th of the books you could previously access freely.

And no longer receive the same funding either.
I'd rather focus on realistic scenario:

Do EU scientists collaborate with US and Chinese scientists?

None are in the EU.
That’s the reason that they are keen for the UK to rejoin their scientific community.
Sorry but that’s rubbish. “Top university’ has got nothing to do with the best science. Where’s our Hadron Collider ? How could we have afforded that on our own ? Although not in a full EU member state, it was jointly funded by EU countries.

None are in the EU.
Sorry Shotshy, that's rubbish. It's the UK scientific community that's desperate to re join Erasmus. Just look at anything written about the subject by Paul Nurse.
Since leaving our ability to attract the best young talent has dropped through the floor.

Sorry but that’s rubbish. “Top university’ has got nothing to do with the best science. Where’s our Hadron Collider ? How could we have afforded that on our own ? Although not in a full EU member state, it was jointly funded by EU countries.
Oh now this is funny:

You're going to name some EU universities with better research output than Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and UCL.

Go on then?

Sorry Shotshy, that's rubbish. It's the UK scientific community that's desperate to re join Erasmus. Just look at anything written about the subject by Paul Nurse.
Since leaving our ability to attract the best young talent has dropped through the floor.
Do EU universities collaborate with US and Chinese universities?

Pitiful.

You and I both know 500,000,000 people weren’t lined up on the shores of France waiting for their chance to come here. Irrespective of whether or not some had successfully claimed asylum elsewhere.
"500,000,000 ELIGIBLE....ELIGIBLE....ELIGIBLE."

Please don't "lie" about my posts.:wagging:

According to you Leave won because of Russian bots on Facebook.

Remainers keep saying most Leave voters were old.

You reckon 70-80 year olds used Facebook that much in 2016?
That's not what I said. I corrected you saying Russia had nothing to do with it.
70-80 year olds read the newspapers I referred to though.

And that is exactly why the poster was a lie.
Have you forgotten already what that poster said ?
"The EU has failed us all"

By all means make an argument that the EU has not "failed us" on mass, illegal immigration...

....but you have just written "that", i.e. the UK Govt's failure to control Kent's beaches means that the poster was a lie.

They are two separate responses by two different entities in different places.
Many people think they are both "failures".

I'd just like to understand how the EU's response to mass, illegal immigration was a "success".
(or even just "no impact" !)

You know nothing about Science. You know nothing about science funding. Just give it up.
Really? That why you resorted to a personal insult, rather than a proper response?

How can Chinese and US scientists work with EU scientists, yet UK scientists cannot without being members of the EU?

Last edited:
I really feel for those who can’t see/admit that Brexit has been a disaster for the economy, young people and the control of our borders. All of those things have been made worse by an utterly incompetent government focussed on sound bites, distraction, plain lies and blaming everyone else instead of doing their jobs properly.

It’s ok to be wrong sometimes.
"Brexit disaster" without evidence or data is getting tedious.

The biggest impact on young people (by far) is the huge cost of housing, inflated by millions of extra people....
...a failure of the UK Government (supported by the civil service and metro-media-big business establishment) - a matter quite distinct from Brexit.

You have no idea how the sharing of knowledge works, and it’s plain to see.
Oh look, another personal insult. Spot the pattern?

How can US and Chinese scientists collaborate with EU scientists, but UK ones can't because we're not in the EU?

"Brexit disaster" without evidence or data is getting tedious.

The biggest impact on young people (by far) is the huge cost of housing, inflated by millions of extra people....
...a failure of the UK Government (supported by the civil service and metro-media-big business establishment) - a matter quite distinct from Brexit.
Christ, what data do you require? Use any measurement you want, it was and remains a monumental act of self harm.

Like I asked before, name me one tangible thing that is better now than it was when we were in the EU.

Name me one single thing that works better now than it did 14 years ago. Just one.

Also we no longer have the right to return immigrants to the EU, something a competent government would have negotiated for in some kind of exit deal.
Much of the population care more about the 1,300,000 arrivals last year - and the 1,200,000 arrivals the year before...

...than they do about 30-50,000 Channel-crossers.

But many find it harder to complain about legal immigration.
It is much easier to complain about illegal immigrants rocking up to Kent beaches, without permission or ID.

As for "negotiating for in some exit deal..."
...how was your crystal ball in 2016, 2017 ?