Post Brexit (n/g) | Page 3 | Vital Football

Post Brexit (n/g)

Try a drive round Kent, pretty well anywhere but especially East West routes. Have you not noticed the goods no longer regularly available. Had any involvement with NHS, seen the signs advertising for staff everywhere, heard the farmers wondering whether it will be worth planting next year, the businesses closing through lack of staff. Good heavens you must have noticed the price of wine.

I'm as chilled as can be but I can see. Perhaps when delivery companies run out of staff, or rely more heavily on the geriatric brigade it will be more apparent. The real stuff coming down the line in the next few months.
The lack of staff isn’t exceptional to the U.K. mate.
If you read some international press you’ll find it exactly the same across Europe particularly in hospitality
Spain has a massive hospitality problem.
Not due to Brexit but because the uber cheap Eastern European labour is no longer available due to covid.
I have a good friend who has a large hotel in Malta and he’s desperate for staff.
Locals won’t work for the stingy minimum wage and the foreign workers haven’t returned.
It’s convenient to blame everything on leaving the Eu but the facts don’t substantiate the argument.
As for goods not being available, well no, I haven’t noticed.
Never personally had that problem.

Still waiting for the Brexit benefits that will be missed. Come on, there must be some.
How’s about being able to vote out rubbish politicians ?
We as a nation can vote out Johnson.
The EU is stuck with Von Der Lyen and Claude Michel until their time is up.

Might be more interesting for those who wished to remain to list issues of how leaving the EU has personally affected them since we left.
What are you missing?
What did you do that you can’t do now?

Might be more interesting for those who wished to remain to list issues of how leaving the EU has personally affected them since we left.
What are you missing?
What did you do that you can’t do now?
On holiday right now in Italy paying roaming charges.
:-(

Still waiting for the Brexit benefits that will be missed. Come on, there must be some.

Considering the UK only left the EU on the 31st December 2020 (in the middle of a pandemic) then there has been no time for any costs** or benefits to materialise.

It will be in the future (say 20 years for sake of argument) when people will be able to look back and give an option of where the UK is compared with where people think the UK would be still in the EU. Pro-EU will compare against an over optimistic view of how good we'd do in the EU and claim disaster while pro-Brexit will compare against a less favourable view of the EU and claim success.

All we can be certain about is that in 20 years time someone on this forum will start a new thread called "So was Brexit a complete balls up? (n/g)" and there will be 100 pages of selective scenarios to "prove" their political position.

**Well there have been no costs unless you blame issues caused by the pandemic on Brexit in which case we should rejoin the EU in case there is a sudden pandemic outbreak of Monkey Pox.

We were still in the EU when Van der Leyen was appointed and voted against her, as we did against her equally useless, but more drunk, predecessor Juncker.

Made F All difference.

If you read some international press you’ll find it exactly the same across Europe particularly in hospitality
Not due to Brexit but because the uber cheap Eastern European labour is no longer available due to covid.
I have a good friend who has a large hotel in Malta and he’s desperate for staff.
Locals won’t work for the stingy minimum wage and the foreign workers haven’t returned.
It’s convenient to blame everything on leaving the Eu but the facts don’t substantiate the argument.
Plenty of staff here in my hotel in Northern Italy.

Obviously there are problems from Covid and Ukraine too. Certainly not blaming the whole shitshow on Brexit.

A Government of proper Tories wouldn't be as inept as this shower, so that would help too.

It takes six months to train as a signaller, minimum for a small box. A lot longer for the modern boxes. Be interesting to see agency workers doing the job with less training. During my time as a signaller, I was probably shot at more times than Nobby was. Stones, bottles, all sorts thrown at me. But fill your boots if anyone wants to do that job for £20k a year...

On holiday right now in Italy paying roaming charges.
:-(
You’re with the wrong company then.
Mine doesn’t.
More importantly, how did you manage to get away amongst all the ‘chaos’
My lad was in Italy last week.
No problems.
I’m off on Saturday.
Don’t foresee problems.

Considering the UK only left the EU on the 31st December 2020 (in the middle of a pandemic) then there has been no time for any costs** or benefits to materialise.

It will be in the future (say 20 years for sake of argument) when people will be able to look back and give an option of where the UK is compared with where people think the UK would be still in the EU. Pro-EU will compare against an over optimistic view of how good we'd do in the EU and claim disaster while pro-Brexit will compare against a less favourable view of the EU and claim success.

All we can be certain about is that in 20 years time someone on this forum will start a new thread called "So was Brexit a complete balls up? (n/g)" and there will be 100 pages of selective scenarios to "prove" their political position.

Yes alongside another thread demanding that Scally sells the Club.😀

Well it's been a 'bit' of a disaster so far.
I'm sure some govt. funded think tank will come up with the proposed number of decades we have to wait until we are allowed to say that officially. Rees Mogg's 50 years may turn out to be correct but I'll be long gone by then.
Oh dear. Remoaner Myth No.2

On Channel 4, JR-M said:
"The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years."

Not "in 50 years time".
But why be accurate if being inaccurate suits your narrative ?

Running the NHS is a dream come true now its getting an extra 350 mill a week Brexit bonus.
And Remoaner Myth No.1
The Leave campaign did not "promise" £350m extra for the NHS.
It couldn't It wasn't the Government.

The amount was a simple way of expressing how much UK taxpayers sent to the EU - and how a UK Government might make a different spending choice.#
That bus said:
We send the EU £350 million a week
Let's fund our NHS instead

# The only legitimate criticism is that "£350m" ignored the rebate.

If the bus amount had said "£290m" would that have kept quiet those Remainers ?
:oops: Doubtful.

As for NHS "Brexit Bonus".
2016-17 £ 127.6 Billion

2020-21 £ 145.1 Billion

What's the difference between those two figures - expressed in £ m per week?
Go on. I dare one of you Remoaners to work it out and post the number....
...and still carry on asking "Where's the Brexit bonus?"

As an aside:
Even allowing for inflation such eye-watering amounts expose the lie of Labour's "NHS cuts" claim.

I'm excited about the prospect of signing up for agency work. I get the impression from Schapps that I could try my hand at variojs things. Signaller seems good. It would be thrilling to see if I got the train to go in the right direction and miss all the others.

Hope it extends to the health service. Could be a paramedic for a day and try my hand at CPR like they do on tele. I reckon I'd be good at that job as I used to watch Casualty with the kids some years ago.

What job would any on here fancy a go at?

Shapps is a muppet and he changes his position as often as I change my underwear (for the avoidance of doubt, that is at least daily).

But you and the press are misinformed about the use of agency workers to replace employees who are striking. I’ve worked in the rail sector in the past. Many COSS (controller of site safety), trackmen, lookouts etc are already agency workers or they are employed by 3rd party private sector firms like Amey, Balfour Beatty etc.

Having these skilled agency workers replace those on strike would not, in my opinion, impact safety. But the press try to make it out that the government is in favour of unqualified Joe Bloggs being let loose on safety critical track.

I didn't say the UK had any problems I said it was all going great. Have you got a problem
Nope and thanks for your concern.
Everything is fine where I am.
Farmers are still moaning. Always have moaned.
Too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry.
While still managing too get around in their £80k Range Rovers.
Our local fishermen are also doing well and have switched from selling their entire catch to wholesale to retail. Fresh in and sold from their outlet on the quay.
Appledore mussels are the best ever.
Couldn’t get them before Brexit because they all went to Spain.
So, all in all, no complaints.

Nope and thanks for your concern.
Everything is fine where I am.
Farmers are still moaning. Always have moaned.
Too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry.
While still managing too get around in their £80k Range Rovers.
Our local fishermen are also doing well and have switched from selling their entire catch to wholesale to retail. Fresh in and sold from their outlet on the quay.
Appledore mussels are the best ever.
Couldn’t get them before Brexit because they all went to Spain.
So, all in all, no complaints.
Just to pick up on the Mussels bit. This doesn't quite add up. You can now buy mussels that formerly were sold to Spain. Good for you (honesrly). Now, why did the fishermen sells rhem to Spain before Brexit? I can only conclude that they got more money from Spanish buyers than your local ones. I don't blame them for that, they are not a charity.

So why do they now sell them locally. Is it too much paperwork etc to sell too Spain? Have the Spaniards' tastes suddenly changed? Can they sell them locally for as much as they used to sell them to Spaniards?
I can only conclude that the beneficiaries are the locals but the fishermen/women are selling then for less than before. Hence I can't see how everyone is benefiting. Surely the fishing industry is worse off here.

Of course it's a problem all over but it's significantly worse here and it's because we haven't managed Brexit properrly. Dover and a large area around and on the way to it is a shambles. I'm not saying Brexit had to end this way, it didn't. I am saying it's an unfolding mess because those running the show never had a workable plan, they still don't. If they don't shape up, or make way the problems will get worse and Brexit itself will lose support. I am already of an age that any final judgement will outdate me but we don't need to be constantly making problems for ourselves in order to manage day to day popularity inside and outside the tory party.

Just to pick up on the Mussels bit. This doesn't quite add up. You can now buy mussels that formerly were sold to Spain. Good for you (honesrly). Now, why did the fishermen sells rhem to Spain before Brexit? I can only conclude that they got more money from Spanish buyers than your local ones. I don't blame them for that, they are not a charity.

So why do they now sell them locally. Is it too much paperwork etc to sell too Spain? Have the Spaniards' tastes suddenly changed? Can they sell them locally for as much as they used to sell them to Spaniards?
I can only conclude that the beneficiaries are the locals but the fishermen/women are selling then for less than before. Hence I can't see how everyone is benefiting. Surely the fishing industry is worse off here.
Basically, how it was in the West Country was that the catch would go to the auction and a couple of wholesalers would buy up most of the the fish, load onto trucks and drive straight to France or Spain to sell to wholesalers there.
Some was bought by local restaurants but overall, a small amount.
During covid, of course the wholesalers couldn’t operate so the fishermen needed new markets and were quite surprised to find that on their doorstep.
The Cornwall and Devon fish co converted part of the building to a large retail counter and were overwhelmed by the interest. People drove miles for the fresh produce.
The crew told me they get a better retail price than they got from the wholesalers so they are happy.
One boat, the Serene Sky even has it’s own trailer on the quay and posts the catch on social media on the way back and you can buy before they unload.
It seems a win win for everyone.
Of course I’m talking about small day boats, not these ginormous deep sea ships.
I know that on the south coast, Brixham etc, they are doing a mix of export and local retail.
There doesn’t appear to be any problems.

The guys kicking off on national tv after Brexit were not the fishermen but the wholesalers who’s monopoly was broken.
Every time there is anything to do with fishing, the tv roll out a guy called Perks for comments.
They never say that he’s not actually a fisherman but a wholesaler who benefited massively by the old system.
The auction houses have now gone online and he has lost his influence because someone Plymouth can by from Brixham and reverse.
Times have changed and the old school who can’t adapt are the ones moaning.
Our local fishermen are happy.

I forgot to add that all of the restaurants for about a twenty mile radius now buy directly from the company rather than the wholesalers.
Check out their Facebook page
Cornwall and Devon Fish Company.

Last edited: