Post Brexit (n/g) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Post Brexit (n/g)

If we rejoined the EU tomorrow, which of the Brexit benefits would you miss most?

:hmmm:
I'm stretching, but I'd miss not having to pay attention to Britain's role in massive multilateral negotiations to produce very minor farts and the Guardian crowing that the fact that the effort did not actually produce any shit might well be regarded as a major achievement for all concerned.

Extraordinary stat via #WATO: in 2008, when oil prices peaked at $144/barrel, no one in Britain paid more than 120p per litre of petrol. Today, oil price is $113 but pump prices 186p litre. Difference is collapse in sterling from $2 to $1.20, a slump that happened immediately after Brexit and hasn’t recovered.

Very selective picking of dates there.
You've gone for the peak value of the last 15 years just prior to the financial crash of 2008 as your benchmark to make judgement. The last time the exchange rate was £1 = $2.00 before then was April 1981.

Very selective picking of dates there.
You've gone for the peak value of the last 15 years just prior to the financial crash of 2008 as your benchmark to make judgement. The last time the exchange rate was £1 = $2.00 before then was April 1981.
I'm sure Waldo could find employment as a 'fact-checker' lol

I'm sure Waldo could find employment as a 'fact-checker' lol

The complex unanswered question is "what is the ideal exchange rate for the UK economy?"

Strong currency will help people import goods from abroad but make it harder for our exporters to sell abroad. Likewise weak currency will help our exporters to export but make it more expensive for our importers to import things.

What is better for the UK economy on the whole for 2022? Closer to $2 per £1 or $1.20 per £1?

The complex unanswered question is "what is the ideal exchange rate for the UK economy?"

Strong currency will help people import goods from abroad but make it harder for our exporters to sell abroad. Likewise weak currency will help our exporters to export but make it more expensive for our importers to import things.

What is better for the UK economy on the whole for 2022? Closer to $2 per £1 or $1.20 per £1?
"better for the UK economy on the whole for 2022" to think in terms of the euro.... fcuk the dollar

From over here it all seems to be going swimmingly well. The poster boys of Brexit, the farmers and fisherfolk have never had it so good and are loving every minute. Running the NHS is a dream come true now its getting an extra 350 mill a week Brexit bonus. And of course the people of Northern Ireland are basking in the joys of their sort of dual status.
Boris' oven ready Brexit looks to have enriched the lives of all and sundry.
God I miss the old country why did I ever move away.

Just want to apologise for the shit show that is Brexit. If only I believed a bit harder in Brexit - maybe it would have turned out better.

Extraordinary stat via #WATO: in 2008, when oil prices peaked at $144/barrel, no one in Britain paid more than 120p per litre of petrol. Today, oil price is $113 but pump prices 186p litre. Difference is collapse in sterling from $2 to $1.20, a slump that happened immediately after Brexit and hasn’t recovered.

Would be interested to know how often during our membership of the EU we saw pump prices reduce. Hasn't about 50% of the price been made up of tax anyway?

In the short to medium term, we screwed up Brexit. Should have inched out with May's deal and tested the waters.

Could we have done that and then have the option of changing it later?

In respect of the protocol, the EU are now claiming that any agreement must stay for ever and never be amended or cancelled, regardless of consequence.

Probably because the court of justice that they fund says so.:rolleyes:

If I stare into my soul and answer honestly the Brexit benefit I would miss most would be the general air of chaos. I do enjoy a bit of chaos but perhaps without the cheerleaders pretending everything was hunky dory.
I think millions of people are suffering from this chaos. No doubt you Jogills and I are ok ( being wrinklies we are still at least partially protected) so we can be relatively relaxed about it. Not much fun for the majority, especially the young. So no, I don't enjoy the chaos.

From over here it all seems to be going swimmingly well. The poster boys of Brexit, the farmers and fisherfolk have never had it so good and are loving every minute. Running the NHS is a dream come true now its getting an extra 350 mill a week Brexit bonus. And of course the people of Northern Ireland are basking in the joys of their sort of dual status.
Boris' oven ready Brexit looks to have enriched the lives of all and sundry.
God I miss the old country why did I ever move away.
From over here, it seems that New Zealand has plenty of problems of it’s own, without Brexit. 😂
So what’s your excuse ? 😉

I'm excited about the prospect of signing up for agency work. I get the impression from Schapps that I could try my hand at variojs things. Signaller seems good. It would be thrilling to see if I got the train to go in the right direction and miss all the others.

Hope it extends to the health service. Could be a paramedic for a day and try my hand at CPR like they do on tele. I reckon I'd be good at that job as I used to watch Casualty with the kids some years ago.

What job would any on here fancy a go at?

I think millions of people are suffering from this chaos. No doubt you Jogills and I are ok ( being wrinklies we are still at least partially protected) so we can be relatively relaxed about it. Not much fun for the majority, especially the young. So no, I don't enjoy the chaos.
I know that I live in a bubble but where I am, I see no evidence of the ‘chaos’
We went up to Woolacombe yesterday.
Rammed.
The beach was packed.
Went to get a bit of lunch.
Packed.
Later went for a drink in Instow.
All bars were packed (and it ain’t cheap)
So, we can’t figure it out?
Every time the news comes on, it’s saying how hard everyone has it but reality doesn’t bare it out.
Airports are packed with people spending thousands going on holiday.
All U.K. resorts are packed.
Supermarkets are full of stock and busy.
Obviously the rail strike is taking headlines but I expect in reality, not that many will be affected.
The sun is shining.
The beer is cold.
Fcuking chill out and enjoy life while you can.
Up the Gills !

I'm excited about the prospect of signing up for agency work. I get the impression from Schapps that I could try my hand at variojs things. Signaller seems good. It would be thrilling to see if I got the train to go in the right direction and miss all the others.

Hope it extends to the health service. Could be a paramedic for a day and try my hand at CPR like they do on tele. I reckon I'd be good at that job as I used to watch Casualty with the kids some years ago.

What job would any on here fancy a go at?

I quite fancy flying a plane but I’m shit scared of heights so I’m not sure how it would turn out. But then again barristers are going on strike too so I want to keep my options open.

Shapps was claiming last week that much less people rely on the railways since the lockdown proved that so many can work from home. Hence, why the government can not even be bothered to involve themselves with the negotiations with the union.

If that's the case, why are his government ploughing ahead with the HS projects and saying that they are so important?

Although driverless trains work on Docklands Light Railway, that is more like a monorail. If it is transferred to an existing, busier and aged national rail system, what will be the findings when the inevitable first rail disaster happens and there is no ordinary worker to blame?

I presume that the talk of compulsary redundancies means that a voluntary redundancy offer did not recieve enough acceptances. Possibly because the offer was unattractive? In my experience, if the offer is high enough, there is no shortage of volunteers. I took early retirement after accepting mine.

I know that I live in a bubble but where I am, I see no evidence of the ‘chaos’
We went up to Woolacombe yesterday.
Rammed.
The beach was packed.
Went to get a bit of lunch.
Packed.
Later went for a drink in Instow.
All bars were packed (and it ain’t cheap)
So, we can’t figure it out?
Every time the news comes on, it’s saying how hard everyone has it but reality doesn’t bare it out.
Airports are packed with people spending thousands going on holiday.
All U.K. resorts are packed.
Supermarkets are full of stock and busy.
Obviously the rail strike is taking headlines but I expect in reality, not that many will be affected.
The sun is shining.
The beer is cold.
Fcuking chill out and enjoy life while you can.
Up the Gills !

Try a drive round Kent, pretty well anywhere but especially East West routes. Have you not noticed the goods no longer regularly available. Had any involvement with NHS, seen the signs advertising for staff everywhere, heard the farmers wondering whether it will be worth planting next year, the businesses closing through lack of staff. Good heavens you must have noticed the price of wine.

I'm as chilled as can be but I can see. Perhaps when delivery companies run out of staff, or rely more heavily on the geriatric brigade it will be more apparent. The real stuff coming down the line in the next few months.

Here in Spain it's gone from 1.26€ in 2008 to 2.09€ now, also due in part to a difference in the exchange rate. Can we blame Brexit for that as well?