Match Thread: Cheltenham Town v Lincoln City | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Cheltenham Town v Lincoln City

It's called the 'Hortin Effect' when you're not there. Wherever you stand on his commentary style, he can't be accused of not introducing drama when one side or the other approach their opponent's respective penalty area, and quite frankly when you only have audio it can be quite traumatic.
Listen to Hortin induces PTSD....

It is not a coincidence that the successful second half of the seson has coincided with the arrival of Taylor. I have often been critical of the recruitement team but they have been spot on this season.
Jensen, Hackett and Hamilton all excellent signings. Then Mitchell on loan.
But the Taylor one in January has been that final piece in the jigsaw. He is one of those special players who has a knack for getting into goalscoring positions. Yes he misses a few but all good strikers do. But after scoring 12 for Colchester he now has 10 for us. That's a brilliant return hopefully he can fire us into the playoffs next week.
Wel done Jez and his team

There is clearly a class player in there, though, and we have seen that recently.
He is filling in as a more defensive midfielder. He is better suited creating in and around the opponents box. He plays some 50 / 50 balls that are high risk/reward. They are effective when we are going forward, but too risky when we are defending. We saw both sides of his game yesterday. Something of a liability in the first half, but much better in the second. There is a player in Danny. He has worked on his mobility and pressing. He now does need to work on his tackling and at times decision making.

Mandroiu is very much at the crossroads of his career.

What I saw of him in Ireland hasn't quite manifested itself here in England. Yes ,it's a big jump in standard and that takes time to acclimatise to.

I think he was a bit unlucky to be playing under Kennedy. He certainly had issues with Mandroiu and that wouldn't have helped and the midfield has suffered multiple injuries meaning that he really has never had a long run in what would be his more favoured position as a playmaking more attacking type midfielder.

Tackles like he made yesterday in the box you learn not to do as a young teenager, it was just a poor decision but I dont think we have seen the best of him yet operating as he would like to.

I hope he gets another contract because there is still a lot more to come from him, especially if we can play him in a more free, creative, attacking midfield role.

Mandroiu got to the ball first.
The classic poor first touch, leading to the second touch being a tackle.
he was very average in possession first half, but improved after half-time.

Same applies to sørensen, not great for his part in the lead up to the pen… very good second half.

Generally we were not sharp or precise enough first half - Taylor and erhahon the usual exceptions. Whatever was said to them all at half-time did the trick. Credit to the coaching staff.

Mandroiu got to the ball first.
The classic poor first touch, leading to the second touch being a tackle.
he was very average in possession first half, but improved after half-time.

Same applies to sørensen, not great for his part in the lead up to the pen… very good second half.

Generally we were not sharp or precise enough first half - Taylor and erhahon the usual exceptions. Whatever was said to them all at half-time did the trick. Credit to the coaching staff.
His decision to actually take a touch in the box was the really bad one in my opinion, everything else stemmed from that in my eyes

Mandroiu is very much at the crossroads of his career.

What I saw of him in Ireland hasn't quite manifested itself here in England. Yes ,it's a big jump in standard and that takes time to acclimatise to.

I think he was a bit unlucky to be playing under Kennedy. He certainly had issues with Mandroiu and that wouldn't have helped and the midfield has suffered multiple injuries meaning that he really has never had a long run in what would be his more favoured position as a playmaking more attacking type midfielder.

Tackles like he made yesterday in the box you learn not to do as a young teenager, it was just a poor decision but I dont think we have seen the best of him yet operating as he would like to.

I hope he gets another contract because there is still a lot more to come from him, especially if we can play him in a more free, creative, attacking midfield role.

Very much agree with this. Its an indication of how Danny has performed over his time here that there is no cast iron guarantee that the club will offer him a new contract in the summer.

None of the managers he has had here have been able to find his best position in the team or get any measure of consistency out of him. He's done a decent job for us in a conventional midfield role the past few weeks, but was dreadful in the first half yesterday (as were a few others).

As Clanford says, its a big jump in standard from Ireland. That may account for the inconsistency we have seen from Danny, and indeed Duffy and Moylan. All have undoubted talent, but can't seem to do it consistently when selected (although its early days for Moylan of course).

As others have said, there is a player in Danny. I just hope we get to see it regularly.

I think Duffy and Moylan will come good. Mandroui is a player who either creates a magic goal or get sends off. Every team needs one.

I love Danny, but my goodness he can be so frustrating. We need to be able to play him in the forward third, in front of Erhahon, and definitely not in our own defensive area. He has a habit of playing ‘Hollywood’ cross-field passes which get cut out and can really put the team in trouble, and when he tackles he goes to ground. He needs to learn to stay on his feet and not let the opponent get goal-side of him, but those are things you learn as a defender and come with a better ability to read the game. He should learn from Ethan, Jackson & TJ, who are excellent with their technique and timing tackles.

His decision to actually take a touch in the box was the really bad one in my opinion, everything else stemmed from that in my eyes
Not so much to take a touch, but to not then protect the ball after that touch. Contrast that with how erhahon can play inside our 18, and in tight positions. takes a good first touch, protects the ball using his body. And is aware of what is around him.

In fairness to Danny, at least he looks like he wants to play for Lincoln now. Under MK he never used to put in a shift, track back or even tackle.

Be surprised if we didn’t have an option for another year on Danny, in the same manner we do with Lasse

After yesterday's result where we find ourselves in 6th spot. I stumbled on this on the Blackpool Fans Forum from March 4th. I'm not sure Burton shop would be willing to entertain this type of manekin.... (apologies for language), but 'Alltheboysarecheerin' might just be getting a bit nervous!!

I'll show my a**e in Burton's shop window if Lincoln or Orient make the Play Offs, however again it shows if we don't got up with the teams coming down from the Championship and up from League Two plus the likes of Wigan, Reading and Charlton that next season will be a real bun fight in this league.