Clemence's latest comments | Page 4 | Vital Football

Clemence's latest comments

I wonder if SC's contract has an optional release clause (by GFC) if postition X is NOT achieved by the end of the season?

I'm sure there will be bonuses for whaetever "success" is.

If SC thinks our current bunch is good enough or close to, he's deluded.

6 or 7 need to go at a minimum.

On reflection, the midfield (bar coleman,) has been a disaster nearly as bad as up top..

Not for me.

Address the glaring issues and every part of our game benefits.

Players are never going to look as good as they should in a dysfunctional team.

Put together players that complement each other’s strengths and output goes up significantly.

Man for man our squad is superior to Crawleys. They just have a much better blend and chemistry.

Another thing that occurs to me is that SC may have been tasked with making us more exciting, maybe even ahead of getting promoted.

I think some posters on here indicated that NH looked like he was trying to be more attacking in his last few games but it was not working with the chosen players, hence the poor performances at Grimsby, Donny and Crewe. We were definitely less organised defensively than we were at Stockport, Sutton and Crawley.

Millen seemed to have a more attacking and less organised and structured approach, leading to the MK win and the heavy Walsall defeat, so I was expecting the new man to be a manager renowned for a more attacking approach.

Apart from there being less "hoofball" it is hard to say that we look any more consistently dangerous going forward IMHO, even with the addition of Hutton.

Inconsistency is still the main problem though, as it has been for many of our opponents.

What do people think about what SC has said here?:

1. "A lot of these managers that are challenging at the top have had quite a bit of time to get their team in place. Look at the top seven teams at the moment, six of those managers have probably had three of four transfer windows, some have had six or seven. The only one who hasn’t [Mike Williamson at MK Dons] has inherited a team that has come down from League 1 and he has got players back on loan from very good clubs in January that really helped him kick on, and that person has done a very good job and fair play.

"But you do need time to build a team, and really the only person I have brought in to help us so far has been Remeao Hutton, who I think has made a good impact and given us that pace and athleticism."

2. "It is a collective thing, everyone has to contribute, unfortunately we haven’t scored on a regular basis enough, there has been occasion we have done it, we scored three goals on three occasions and come from behind on two or three occasions, which hadn’t been done at the club for a while.

“There is signs of improvement and I do believe we create more than when I first arrived, there are some positives but negatives as well and we all have to look at ourselves and I am included in that where we haven’t been good enough, especially in the run-in. We have let a lot of people down, we can only apologise for that, it hasn’t been through a lack of effort.”

3. (Re Hurtado)
"He does keep in contact with one of our sports scientists. It was good to see him and his big smile, he does light the place up when he’s here.

“He has become a bit of a hero already around the place after three sub appearances and one of those was very impressive when he came off the bench that night (against Swindon).

“We will keep in touch over the summer with him and see what he looks like."

4. (Re Mahoney)
"Conor is a quality player and he has got assists and he has got goals so they are the kind of people that you need in your football team.

“I believe if he played with more players that had that, he would actually assist and score more himself, because I think a lot of teams do set out to stop him and to stop maybe one or two different areas and then they know they stop Gillingham, and that’s been a problem for us."

Simply put, he's right.

I wonder if SC's contract has an optional release clause (by GFC) if postition X is NOT achieved by the end of the season?

I'm sure there will be bonuses for whaetever "success" is.

On reflection, the midfield (bar coleman,) has been a disaster nearly as bad as up top..
If you read SC`s comments over the past few months and read between the lines - there`s no doubt about it - SC has strongly alluded to being short on quality and lacking the presence of natural goal scorers up front. He`s a manager/head coach, he`s not daft enough to overtly call out his players, or some of them, for being not good enough - he has to motivate those players. But, at the same time, try to convince ownership of the need to add quality to improve the team. I suspect ownership is now fully convinced.

If you read SC`s comments over the past few months and read between the lines - there`s no doubt about it - SC has strongly alluded to being short on quality and lacking the presence of natural goal scorers up front. He`s a manager/head coach, he`s not daft enough to overtly call out his players, or some of them, for being not good enough - he has to motivate those players. But, at the same time, try to convince ownership of the need to add quality to improve the team. I suspect ownership is now fully convinced.
If that is SC's expert opinion after assessing and compiling data over a period of months, it brings him level with 99% of the support, at least those with the power of sight, who already knew that.

I would be amazed if BG didn't know 6 months ago, as well, however new he is to the sport.

His mistake is maybe that he thought the skill could be coached in to a player.

Not for me.

Address the glaring issues and every part of our game benefits.

Players are never going to look as good as they should in a dysfunctional team.

Put together players that complement each other’s strengths and output goes up significantly.

Man for man our squad is superior to Crawleys. They just have a much better blend and chemistry.
If the team is dysfunctional who is to blame - the manager or the players?

If Crawley have the right chemistry and blend that can only change for GFC if players leave and new ones come in.

The question is how many players are "dsyfunctional" and do not have the right "chemistry"?

I think 6 or 7 have to go.

I'd like to know which players are out of contract at GFC in June? Natural wastage may help solve the problems.

But IF we have the second highest wage bill in league two a lot of our players are having a laugh while they get paid handsomely.

I

The question is how many players are "dsyfunctional" and do not have the right "chemistry"?

I think 6 or 7 have to go.

Not sure “have to go”. But I do think at least that many will be off anyway.

It’s likely that Masterson, S Williams, Morris and maybe 1 or 2 more are out of contract (Ehmer maybe?). Persistent rumours that Jeffries will move up a division. I expect Nads will be moved on regardless. And Walker, Mahoney and Hurtado are only loanees so will be off although I’d welcome the last 2 staying. We may have to beat off offers for Ogie and Coleman as well.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if GFC accepted any offers for other players who want to move. But TBF, most of them I don’t mind staying if we can add some quality firepower up top.

I agree with the earlier post that if you can just score, a lot of other issues disappear. How many games have we seen (or heard of other games) where both sides have been dire, but one side got a goal or 2 from nowhere. I think Wrexham benefit a lot from this.

It’s likely that Masterson, S Williams, Morris and maybe 1 or 2 more are out of contract (Ehmer maybe?).
I understand Masterson and S Williams are contracted to 2025 and 2028 respectively.

I’ll leave you to pick out which one is a total fabrication on my part.

I understand Masterson and S Williams are contracted to 2025 and 2028 respectively.

I’ll leave you to pick out which one is a total fabrication on my part.

I’ll go for option C, both?
I'd be interested in your response to post 71?

I know not me being asked, and you are after nibbles far greater expertise. But the only bit I didn’t address in #71 is our wage standing.

Very much doubt we are No2 (presumably behind Wrexham).

A lot of various guesses, tables and conjecture across all social media is that we are around 6th or 7th. Behind Wrexham, Stockport, MK Dons, Notts County, Bradford, maybe Salford and possibly on par with clubs like Mansfield, Col U (after their takeover) and AFCW.

If the team is dysfunctional who is to blame - the manager or the players?

Generally, it depends how long the manager has been at the club and how many players he has brought in.

In Stephen Clemence’s case I don’t blame him, especially in his role as head coach. Old school ‘managers’ you could perhaps attribute more blame to as they would have more of a say as to what players to bring in and therefore upon appointment you’d expect a list of players they want to sign.

Zero blame to the players. You can’t blame a llama for not being a giraffe.
If Crawley have the right chemistry and blend that can only change for GFC if players leave and new ones come in.

No players in themselves are ‘dysfunctional’ or lack chemistry. The function / chemistry aspect describes the team as a whole or at most partnerships (I.e centre back /midfield/striker pairings or combinations). Obviously some elements react better with others and are more adaptable, in football terms those all-round players that can do everything. We’re not blessed with those - not many teams at our level are.

It’s true that you can only really change the chemistry by changing the players. Looking at the first XI, now we have Andrews starting I think we only really need another two to be a far better and far more functional team - some real pace up top and a midfield enforcer/leader.

The chemistry can also change organically as players step up or learn new roles in pre-season and throughout the course of the season but that would certainly be hopeful and not something we should rely on with our budget.

Additional signings will also help but I wouldn’t say they are a necessity to make us a team that functions well and makes the most of its players’ strengths.

I think 6 or 7 changes to the squad isn’t unrealistic but I wouldn’t expect the look of the first XI to change by more than 3 or 4 players next season.

It’s possible that we have the second highest wage bill in L2, and that’s exactly why someone has put together a table of their guesses and presented it as fact. However, it’s total guesswork so I wouldn’t give it any credibility. I’d personally be a little surprised if our wage bill was higher than Stockport’s.

It is however fairly widely accepted that we do have a few players who are being overpaid - look to those signed in January 2023 when we were desperate to stay in the League - if any of those are out of contract this summer they’ll be looking at a pay cut I would have thought.

I hope that answers your query.

Kind regards,
nibbles

Zero blame to the players. You can’t blame a llama for not being a giraffe.

True. But you can blame a giraffe if it’s acting like a llama.

TBF, I don’t think we’ve got many like that. But we’ve certainly got some who should be producing a lot more giraffe like performances than they are. And good giraffes too, not runt-of-the-litter type giraffes.

True. But you can blame a giraffe if it’s acting like a llama.

TBF, I don’t think we’ve got many like that. But we’ve certainly got some who should be producing a lot more giraffe like performances than they are. And good giraffes too, not runt-of-the-litter type giraffes.

What the fuck have you got against llamas? I’m sick of people thinking giraffes are somehow ‘better’.

It’s not a competition, mate.

What the fuck have you got against llamas? I’m sick of people thinking giraffes are somehow ‘better’.

It’s not a competition, mate.

Nowt against llamas, although they do lack the required height for our style. But if we've got llamas they need to play like F’ing llamas!! Not prancing around sticking long necks in where they aren’t needed like giraffes do.

And don’t get me started on the raccoons.

It’s possible that we have the second highest wage bill in L2, and that’s exactly why someone has put together a table of their guesses and presented it as fact. However, it’s total guesswork so I wouldn’t give it any credibility. I’d personally be a little surprised if our wage bill was higher than Stockport’s.

It is however fairly widely accepted that we do have a few players who are being overpaid - look to those signed in January 2023 when we were desperate to stay in the League - if any of those are out of contract this summer they’ll be looking at a pay cut I would have thought.

I hope that answers your query.

Kind regards,
nibbles
That is only 3 now, though, isn't it? Hawkins, Lapslie and Dieng.

Nichols has moved on, to the same side the Hawk and Laps arrived from, and Masterson was only on loan so it was up to us whether we offered him a permanent contract last summer, when we were safe. Nil desperandum then.

If we are overpaying any others, it was a decision made with consideration and plenty of time on our side, last summer.