Clemence's latest comments | Page 3 | Vital Football

Clemence's latest comments

It’s a difficult thing to judge in someways
I sympathise with SC because he inherited a disaster we don’t score enough goals because of the summer recruitment fuck up
Harris was sacked and it took an age to appoint him which seemed to affect the players even though they are supposed to be pros
We were still in a reasonable position which has rapidly deteriorated worrying for me is he hasn’t really got anymore out of our stop start squad than Harris was getting near his demise
We didn’t really resolve anything in the January window apart from what might have been if Hurtado hadn’t been crocked
My biggest concern is this summer as has already been said get it wrong again and next season will be a repeat with SC leaving sooner or later
Sadly a season I felt very optimistic about has gone very pear shaped

New direction (other than backwards of course). Attractive football. And the prime objective of promotion. Or were you being facetious?

Not being facetious at all. Normally if you’re given a brief from an employer, these are quite clear, specific with relevant deadlines attached.

What were the specific goals / targets set by Brad and what deadline did he give? What assistance did he aim to give SC (as in new players) and what did he deliver?

I’m not convinced that SC hasn’t met a particular brief from his employer.

Clemence was very clear that he didn’t get the players he wanted in January. He classed Hutton as his only signing so far….you infer from that that Andrews, Hurtado and Walker were not his choices.

Clemence was very clear that he didn’t get the players he wanted in January. He classed Hutton as his only signing so far….you infer from that that Andrews, Hurtado and Walker were not his choices.

SC said:

But you do need time to build a team, and really the only person I have brought in to help us so far has been Remeao Hutton

I read that as brought in to the team - and so far only Remeao has featured for any significant time.

SC has always sounded happy with Andrews and gutted that he’s been unavailable.

Whichever way you look at it, not great for Walker….

SC said:

But you do need time to build a team, and really the only person I have brought in to help us so far has been Remeao Hutton

I read that as brought in to the team - and so far only Remeao has featured for any significant time.

SC has always sounded happy with Andrews and gutted that he’s been unavailable.

Whichever way you look at it, not great for Walker….
The article is just based on the longer interview that is free to watch on iFollow. He was definitely unhappy with the January business done overall, he repeats this two or three times.
He goes onto say it’s much easier operating in the summer window due to all the players out of contract, and that he has a supportive Chairman, so I’m expecting some great signings this summer.

so I’m expecting some great signings this summer.

We had some great signings last summer. And in Jan 2023. Just not particularly up front.

This summer, depending on who stays/goes, if we sign quality defenders and mid-fielders but no quality strikers then I think there will be a riot. And I think Clem will be at the head of it with his pitchfork and fiery torch.

If this chart is right, he has created almost double the number of chances of any other player:

Mind you, it seems a bit weird that Cheye is on that list and Hutton isn't.

Hutton puts a lot of crosses in but none of them ever come to anything. I’m not sure whether the quality of his delivery is the problem or whether we haven’t got the quality in the box to finish the opportunities.

Hutton puts a lot of crosses in but none of them ever come to anything. I’m not sure whether the quality of his delivery is the problem or whether we haven’t got the quality in the box to finish the opportunities.

His ‘key passes’ per match have remained the same since his time at Swindon. His assists have dropped off a cliff. I know where I think the blame lies.

So you want pace, power, strength plus excitement too? You don't want much, do you?!

I'd be up for whatever it takes to get us out of the basement, or exciting and attractive football.

Like you, I'm inclined to think we need pace, power and physicality to succeed in this division. But if SC can get us promoted playing football the 'right way' (imo, this means the passing game, predominantly on the deck rather than in the air) it'd make me very happy. I'm not convinced he (or many) can achieve this, but I'm more than happy for him to be given a full pre-season and season to try.

There are no guarantees and this applies to either SC or some new manager. It seems to me that a lot of our fans lack patience, which is a strange thing given our history.

People lack patience because for the first time in ages we actually have the resources to be successful - theyve either not been well spent or the coaches havent got the best out of the squad.

Expectations are up under Galinson and rightly so.

Power and pace is the most likely to succeed in league 2 thats why we should recruit that way. It will be interesting to see whether andrews offers more of a threat from open play than the immobile Hawkins. My first time seeing him today

The fact that Andrews was injured when we signed him, and he was signed early to secure him before a summer free for all, would suggest that he was never a saviour intended for this season.

The other two might not have been SC's choices but may have been the best of a limited supply of strikers available for loan if no permanent targets that SC wanted would be released. Both loans could have worked and helped SC, but Walker clearly hasn't. Hurtado's injury was pure bad luck.

As one or both of them will go back to their clubs and Bonne and Nichols have gone, it will mean we have the spaces and finances available to be properly serious and single minded with targets this summer. Hopefully the Recruitment team will be working long hours to finally get things right.

Or maybe these things take time?
They certainly do which is why i say sack him or back him but be decisive.

If people think he's the man to get the best out of a league two team then back him.

I worry that he doesnt have the experience in league 2 and I think he'd be more successful managing higher up

If people think he's the man to get the best out of a league two team then back him.

I worry that he doesnt have the experience in league 2 and I think he'd be more successful managing higher up

If we were to sack SC (im in the back him camp) what makes you think those making the decisions will appoint the right person to replace him? Many question the sacking of NH (certainly the timing of it) and many are now questioning the appointment of SC. That doesn't suggest those making football decisions higher up have made the right calls with recent managerial decisions Do we just keep sacking coaches/managers until they get the required results in the first 6 months? A little patience is required IMO.

IMO we should back SC, give him players he wants, let him have a full pre season and (barring us being in a disastrous position by Christmas) give him all next season, then judge where we are.

Last edited:
I'm not calling for SC to get the elbow as he hasn't had long enough. Do I expect top 7 with him? No, but obs may well be wrong and certainly hope to be eating an enormous Humble pie this time next year.

However, if the Gallinsons bin him I won't complain either.

Genuine question. Are there any players who have performed better under SC than NH? Has he improved any of them?

(Can think of a few who have got worse).

I wasn’t just referring to Clemence but also in the building of a successful football team.

I’m not certain it’s a case of the resources being spent badly - for me the issue is the money we haven’t spent (and I believe is still there to be spent BUT only at the right price).

I wasn’t just referring to Clemence but also in the building of a successful football team.

I’m not certain it’s a case of the resources being spent badly - for me the issue is the money we haven’t spent (and I believe is still there to be spent BUT only at the right price).
It is possible that Clemence agreed not to overspend this January to get a bigger pot in the summer?
Andrews possibly points to this being a possibility?
Given the odds weren't great in January of getting promoted the feeling could have been let's take a gamble but not go overboard this window.Then Brad was going to push the boat out in the summer which of course would more likely to increase revenues so the net cost of the investment would be less.

It is possible that Clemence agreed not to overspend this January to get a bigger pot in the summer?
Andrews possibly points to this being a possibility?
Given the odds weren't great in January of getting promoted the feeling could have been let's take a gamble but not go overboard this window.Then Brad was going to push the boat out in the summer which of course would more likely to increase revenues so the net cost of the investment would be less.

According to KJ we paid money for Andrews in January to beat the competition that we were likely to be competing against (and likely to lose out too in terms of wages) in the summer when he became available