Ange may have lost the dressing room... | Vital Football

Ange may have lost the dressing room...

Spursex

Alert Team
I've no reason to believe the already circulating rumours other than our performance last night and the 'warning' from Ange that 'some backroom and players are questioning his approach'...

God help us what state we will be in after the Liverpool and City games?!

So steel yourself with what might happen next/or at the end of the season...

In line with our reputation of being 'unmanageable' we could well see him forced out, or as a broken man - (as he appeared post match), one that is ready to throw the towel in.

He doesn't engender confidence now, and that's a death knell for a PL manager, as we have all seen far too much of.

I've mentioned before how increasingly unwell he appears and how his furtive looking at the ground in recent interviews is reminiscent of a man about to be sentenced but can't or doesn't want to face up to it.

The most worrying aspect of his demeanour, which I've mentioned before, is he is now looking ill.

The stress is clearly getting to him, and he now looks and is acting like a man who has lost control, and doesn't know what to do next.

In the first half, there was no discernable pattern of play, so it didn't surprise me when he started losing his rag and showing his frustration. That is probably one of the worst performances this season, it was a low point, which tells me, all is not well with him or the players.

He'll have his chance to correct it, but after last night, it's impossible to believe he can or will. The more positive amongst you will believe it doesn't matter., and what will be will be, all he has to do is survive until next season and be handed a new influx of blood.

For now, the smell of desperation is all pervasive. He needs help, it's good that he finally concedes that this is all on him and his approach - so what will he do now?

You can't help put feel his stubbornness is a test of faith for him now, which he may well not be able to rise to. As has been said many times, he is up against some of the best coaches and the smartest footballing brains in the business, and they all now seemingly know how to counter his set-up and approach. We got beat by a team last night with a thrown together defence and arguably their 'B' team. That's pretty humbling, if not an absolute humiliation.

I won't go on about his denials on set-pieces and what we could all witness last night.

The Players made him look pretty stupid last night.

Like it or not, we are now a club in crisis, at best, we're likely to limp over the line, at worst, it could be a complete implosion. It may well be the manager merry-go-round starts again as the experiment of Ange ball comes to an embarrassing and fruitless end.

We need to prepare ourselves, I'd lay a bet with anyone that after next week's management meeting, the search for a new manager will 'just in case' begin in earnest.

I'd like to see him survive, as long as he can grow/evolve and refresh our approach. But his stubbornness in clinging onto his approach suggests to me, he won't. He is too tactically inflexible for the prem is my all-pervasive feeling again this morning. I'd love him to survive and prove me wrong.

The club have some huge multi-million pound decisions to make about the summer's targets now - do they buy who Ange wants, (who may not be suited to other more pragmatic styles) or do they hold back?

What's for sure is between now and the end of the season, we're going to live in the old Chinese curse of "may you live in interesting times"..

Last edited:
No matter the coach the end result is much the same. Failure by the players.
Failure starts with a lack of preparation; if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Ange and his staff could do worse than read this:

Point 8 is particularly instructive.

Dare I say it, maybe they should all dig deep and buy this:

Ange Postecoglou takes responsibility for Chelsea defeat: ‘I’ve got to look at myself’​

LONDON, ENGLAND - MAY 02: Head Coach Ange Postecoglou of Tottenham Hotspur during the Premier League match between Chelsea FC and Tottenham Hotspur at Stamford Bridge on May 02, 2024 in London, England. (Photo by Robin Jones/Getty Images)

By Charlie Eccleshare
May 2, 2024

Tottenham Hotspur manager Ange Postecoglou says he has to “take responsibility” for his side’s 2-0 defeat to Chelsea on Thursday night.
Defeat at Stamford Bridge was Tottenham’s third straight defeat and leaves their hopes of qualifying for next season’s Champions League hanging in the balance.
“We didn’t play anywhere near the sort of football and didn’t have the mindset that I expect us to have,” said Postecoglou.

“That’s on me and I’ve got to take responsibility for that ultimately as I’m the one who is putting them out there and preparing them for it. We were so far off it. I’ve got to look at myself and see how I’m preparing this team for it.”
Asked to put his finger on Spurs’ performance, he said: “We lacked a real sort of conviction and positive mindset in our football.

“We didn’t really have any fluency, any sort of aggression with and without the ball. It’s a bit unlike us because if nothing else we’ve always been competitive, especially in the first half it was missing today.”

Postecoglou added: “My responsibility is preparing the team every game to make sure we reach certain levels. We didn’t do it today so that lies at my feet and I’ve got to fix that.”

I've no reason to believe the already circulating rumours other than our performance last night and the 'warning' from Ange that 'some backroom and players are questioning his approach'...

God help us what state we will be in after the Liverpool and City games?!

So steel yourself with what might happen next/or at the end of the season...

In line with our reputation of being 'unmanageable' we could well see him forced out, or as a broken man - (as he appeared post match), one that is ready to throw the towel in.

He doesn't engender confidence now, and that's a death knell for a PL manager, as we have all seen far too much of.

I've mentioned before how increasingly unwell he appears and how his furtive looking at the ground in recent interviews is reminiscent of a man about to be sentenced but can't or doesn't want to face up to it.

The most worrying aspect of his demeanour, which I've mentioned before, is he is now looking ill.

The stress is clearly getting to him, and he now looks and is acting like a man who has lost control, and doesn't know what to do next.

In the first half, there was no discernable pattern of play, so it didn't surprise me when he started losing his rag and showing his frustration. That is probably one of the worst performances this season, it was a low point, which tells me, all is not well with him or the players.

He'll have his chance to correct it, but after last night, it's impossible to believe he can or will. The more positive amongst you will believe it doesn't matter., and what will be will be, all he has to do is survive until next season and be handed a new influx of blood.

For now, the smell of desperation is all pervasive. He needs help, it's good that he finally concedes that this is all on him and his approach - so what will he do now?

You can't help put feel his stubbornness is a test of faith for him now, which he may well not be able to rise to. As has been said many times, he is up against some of the best coaches and the smartest footballing brains in the business, and they all now seemingly know how to counter his set-up and approach. We got beat by a team last night with a thrown together defence and arguably their 'B' team. That's pretty humbling, if not an absolute humiliation.

I won't go on about his denials on set-pieces and what we could all witness last night.

The Players made him look pretty stupid last night.

Like it or not, we are now a club in crisis, at best, we're likely to limp over the line, at worst, it could be a complete implosion. It may well be the manager merry-go-round starts again as the experiment of Ange ball comes to an embarrassing and fruitless end.

We need to prepare ourselves, I'd lay a bet with anyone that after next week's management meeting, the search for a new manager will 'just in case' begin in earnest.

I'd like to see him survive, as long as he can grow/evolve and refresh our approach. But his stubbornness in clinging onto his approach suggests to me, he won't. He is too tactically inflexible for the prem is my all-pervasive feeling again this morning. I'd love him to survive and prove me wrong.

The club have some huge multi-million pound decisions to make about the summer's targets now - do they buy who Ange wants, (who may not be suited to other more pragmatic styles) or do they hold back?

What's for sure is between now and the end of the season, we're going to live in the old Chinese curse of "may you live in interesting times"..

It could also be the signal that shows the entirety of the legacy employees and players need to be replaced.

Don't buy into what he is doing? Fuck off somewhere else.

The attitude I get coming from Spurs "employees" is, well let's just wait for the next manager. It is why we never get anywhere. No patience and no time for a manager to truly turn things around. And and a bunch of hacks in the back room.

We can't attract good managers. We couldn't even convince Kompany.

It could also be the signal that shows the entirety of the legacy employees and players need to be replaced.

Don't buy into what he is doing? Fuck off somewhere else.

The attitude I get coming from Spurs "employees" is, well let's just wait for the next manager. It is why we never get anywhere. No patience and no time for a manager to truly turn things around. And and a bunch of hacks in the back room.

We can't attract good managers. We couldn't even convince Kompany.
Well, if Ange doesn't act now, he never will. The problems are now staring him in the face and his touchline anger last night showed it.

What happens next, is down to him. I pray he now makes the smart choices.

Let's not kid ourselves, Ange was/is an experiment, if we could attract better (which we couldn't) would we still have appointed him?

Well, if Ange doesn't act now, he never will. The problems are now staring him in the face and his touchline anger last night showed it.

What happens next, is down to him. I pray he now makes the smart choices.

Let's not kid ourselves, Ange was/is an experiment, if we could attract better (which we couldn't) would we still have appointed him?

Yeah, and at the first sign of trouble we should abandon the experiment? How Tottenhamesque.

He knows what he needs to do but without transfer windows behind him he cannot be get it done.

The football intelligentsia thinks they know better than him.

I think we have a serious internal problem with the old guard. Who are naffing lazy.

I wish, just for once, Spurs supporters would get behind a struggling manager to help the club through a tough period.

Yeah, and at the first sign of trouble we should abandon the experiment? How Tottenhamesque.

He knows what he needs to do but without transfer windows behind him he cannot be get it done.

I think we have a serious internal problem with the old guard. Who are naffing lazy.

I wish, just for once, Spurs supporters would get behind a struggling manager to help the club through a tough period.
So bloody true there 80 esp your last sentence.

I have typed and deleted so many things on this thread....guess I will sum it up by saying a few things...

Leadership is my jam...I teach it and have employed it for many MANY years....and what I have seen at Spurs is largely a rudderless club at multiple levels. And it doesn't matter where...in the end a link or links are weak and that causes the whole enchilada to break. Again doesn't matter where or at what level...the only thing that changes is how long it takes to break down.

This club is broken and has been for a long time. we have lacked strong leadership at multiple levels for so long. AP may be a solid manager...he has surrounded himself with weak leaders on and off the pitch. (and yeah I place this on AP....build your staff better and select a better player leader)

Not sure if AP is the right guy for the gig....but it won't matter....unless drastic changes are made and quickly...he will be gone.

I have typed and deleted so many things on this thread....guess I will sum it up by saying a few things...

Leadership is my jam...I teach it and have employed it for many MANY years....and what I have seen at Spurs is largely a rudderless club at multiple levels. And it doesn't matter where...in the end a link or links are weak and that causes the whole enchilada to break. Again doesn't matter where or at what level...the only thing that changes is how long it takes to break down.

This club is broken and has been for a long time. we have lacked strong leadership at multiple levels for so long. AP may be a solid manager...he has surrounded himself with weak leaders on and off the pitch. (and yeah I place this on AP....build your staff better and select a better player leader)

Not sure if AP is the right guy for the gig....but it won't matter....unless drastic changes are made and quickly...he will be gone.
ha ha, I've just said the exact same thing, only in less words - it's been eating me for so long I want to kill people! lol!

Ange Postecoglou takes responsibility for Chelsea defeat: ‘I’ve got to look at myself’​

LONDON, ENGLAND - MAY 02: Head Coach Ange Postecoglou of Tottenham Hotspur during the Premier League match between Chelsea FC and Tottenham Hotspur at Stamford Bridge on May 02, 2024 in London, England. (Photo by Robin Jones/Getty Images)

By Charlie Eccleshare
May 2, 2024

Tottenham Hotspur manager Ange Postecoglou says he has to “take responsibility” for his side’s 2-0 defeat to Chelsea on Thursday night.
Defeat at Stamford Bridge was Tottenham’s third straight defeat and leaves their hopes of qualifying for next season’s Champions League hanging in the balance.
“We didn’t play anywhere near the sort of football and didn’t have the mindset that I expect us to have,” said Postecoglou.

“That’s on me and I’ve got to take responsibility for that ultimately as I’m the one who is putting them out there and preparing them for it. We were so far off it. I’ve got to look at myself and see how I’m preparing this team for it.”
Asked to put his finger on Spurs’ performance, he said: “We lacked a real sort of conviction and positive mindset in our football.

“We didn’t really have any fluency, any sort of aggression with and without the ball. It’s a bit unlike us because if nothing else we’ve always been competitive, especially in the first half it was missing today.”

Postecoglou added: “My responsibility is preparing the team every game to make sure we reach certain levels. We didn’t do it today so that lies at my feet and I’ve got to fix that.”
Talk is cheap though Ange.

I want to see action in the last few games of the season. Give us a bit of hope that next season we will be able to kick on my son.

Think it’s easy to overlook how young this side is, not only in age, but in premiership experience. Ange to is going through a steep learning curve and if he’s the coach a number of us think (hope) he is appropriate adjustments will be made to our squad and to some of our tactical approach.

My recollection is that Klopp had a pretty average first season and even Pep took that first season to understand how competitive the Premiership is. Would we as fans have accepted fifth or sixth when the season commenced and our top goal scorer in history was sold on the eve of the season? I think most would.

The lack of a trophy is clearly affecting a number of our fans in that patience is no longer even something that can be tolerated and we must win now. None of this is helped by sport being blasted at us 24 hours a day on tv and radio with morons like Cundy, O’Hara and Jim White going completely over the top after each result. If there isn’t a story(crisis) they’ll create one just to get reaction from their listeners.

Personally if we were to get rid of Ange after just one season it would say more about the club, and its fans, then about the qualities of the Manager. We all want success, we’re all sick of everyone taking the piss about the club we all love but as I approach seventy I’m happy for Ange to get longer. Clearly if he doesn’t adapt and address our weaknesses next season his tenure will be revisited but come on let’s give the guy a break and a bit of breathing space.

I don’t think we are broken at all US.

Behind the scenes we are a roaring success.

The only thing broken is the football we are playing at the minute.

I hope Ange survives but in order to do that he’s needs to adapt. Adapting is not weakness but I think he probably sees it as that.

We are half a dozen players short of having a really decent squad but that will come over the next season or two.

In the meantime, get the best out of what you have and set tactics accordingly. It’s not rocket science.

He was happy cracking jokes at the start of the season with the media when things were going well but what a change last night.

He came across as a man who is out of his depth. Welcome to the big time mate!

I suspect you wish will come true, but he has to show he can be decisive - drop Son, drop Emerson, play Dragu start one or two kids (Sours fans will forgive anything if he does that)...

It's in his hands which way the sentiment and the venting goes now.

I suspect you wish will come true, but he has to show he can be decisive - drop Son, drop Emerson, play Dragu start one or two kids (Sours fans will forgive anything if he does that)...

It's in his hands which way the sentiment and the venting goes now.

Hmmmmm....if the club is well run then the sentiment shouldn't matter. That's the biggest problem Spurs have. Sentiment.

In fact, you could predict the sentiment related to the phases in turning the club around.

1) The beginning when all is fresh and shiny and everyone is happy.

2) The fading of enthusiasm as adjustments start to be implemented.

3) The rough spots when it becomes apparent that the personnel aren't right for the direction and the toys coming out of the pram.

4) The inconsistent performances as the personnel are changed and the carry-over attitude from the original personnel issues and supporters criticizing everything.

5) The occasional brilliance as the new direction takes hold making fans demand more and overreact to losses.

6) And the part we never get to because people can't hold the line....success and confidence in what the club is doing.

We usually get to step 3 and blow everything up.

I don’t think we are broken at all US.

Behind the scenes we are a roaring success.

The only thing broken is the football we are playing at the minute.

I hope Ange survives but in order to do that he’s needs to adapt. Adapting is not weakness but I think he probably sees it as that.

We are half a dozen players short of having a really decent squad but that will come over the next season or two.

In the meantime, get the best out of what you have and set tactics accordingly. It’s not rocket science.

He was happy cracking jokes at the start of the season with the media when things were going well but what a change last night.

He came across as a man who is out of his depth. Welcome to the big time mate!

I hope you are right....I would prefer not to be....it is just what I think....

Think it’s easy to overlook how young this side is, not only in age, but in premiership experience. Ange to is going through a steep learning curve and if he’s the coach a number of us think (hope) he is appropriate adjustments will be made to our squad and to some of our tactical approach.

My recollection is that Klopp had a pretty average first season and even Pep took that first season to understand how competitive the Premiership is. Would we as fans have accepted fifth or sixth when the season commenced and our top goal scorer in history was sold on the eve of the season? I think most would.

The lack of a trophy is clearly affecting a number of our fans in that patience is no longer even something that can be tolerated and we must win now. None of this is helped by sport being blasted at us 24 hours a day on tv and radio with morons like Cundy, O’Hara and Jim White going completely over the top after each result. If there isn’t a story(crisis) they’ll create one just to get reaction from their listeners.

Personally if we were to get rid of Ange after just one season it would say more about the club, and its fans, then about the qualities of the Manager. We all want success, we’re all sick of everyone taking the piss about the club we all love but as I approach seventy I’m happy for Ange to get longer. Clearly if he doesn’t adapt and address our weaknesses next season his tenure will be revisited but come on let’s give the guy a break and a bit of breathing space.
Excellently put Skelly, am wiv you 100% on this.

There is inexperience there & the new faces will need time to adjust to life in the Prem, just as Ange will in the hot seat.

We wanted an attacking minded coach, well we got him. This is a project & we need to remain patient. If we keep flip flopping from one coach to another we'll never get anywhere. Stay the course & give it another season & then reevaluate where we stand.

He needs help, not knifed in the back. How often have we seen that at this club? It's got to stop.

I'm not fully on board with his style of football but if i was a player i'd be breaking down walls to make it succeed. The self doubters need an arm around the shoulder. Those who doubt him need a kick up the arse. It's a project that everyone should be fully invested in. If not they should be pulled to the side & quietly told to f**k off. No drama is required, just everybody pulling in the same direction to make this damn thing a success. My God we deserve it after 20 odd years of failure.

There is inexperience there & the new faces will need time to adjust to life in the Prem, just as Ange will in the hot seat.

We wanted an attacking minded coach, well we got him. This is a project & we need to remain patient. If we keep flip flopping from one coach to another we'll never get anywhere. Stay the course & give it another season & then reevaluate where we stand.

He needs help, not knifed in the back. How often have we seen that at this club? It's got to stop.

I'm not fully on board with his style of football but if i was a player i'd be breaking down walls to make it succeed. The self doubters need an arm around the shoulder. Those who doubt him need a kick up the arse. It's a project that everyone should be fully invested in. If not they should be pulled to the side & quietly told to f**k off. No drama is required, just everybody pulling in the same direction to make this damn thing a success. My God we deserve it after 20 odd years of failure.
A big well said there Steve. COYS