Too much doom and Gloom. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Too much doom and Gloom.

Those people were the type of people who think just because we have American owners, we are guaranteed to be the new Wrexham.

These people don't understand how football works
There are plenty of Wrexham fans who thought they should have been League Champions and not Stockport.
Some fans are never happy.

Expectations were high as we'd been sold the dream of the sleeping giant. I've always thought our potential has always that anyway pre-Galinsons, with a little investment. However the pre-season hype had us expecting more. From improvements for the ‘Town end’, the big screen, a team to be proud of. One by one it all came apart. No real Gillingham fan is unaware of where we were last season, and not grateful to have a football league team knocking on the door. But losing 18 games and a -9 or more goal difference should have had us no where near the play-offs. I'm already buying in to next season, the Gallinson’s will address what's needed and either SC or someone else will have a full preseason and summer window. My expectations are high as I'm sure many fans are. Next season has to be better, no exceptions.
UTG
I go along with what you say, but we've not had a full pre-season of players for a long time, more like last minute signings. Sure it's down to signing costs, wages & whether the person wants to sign, but if we want the best (someone to do the job) we will have to cough-up.

Let all be happy clappy to be a Nearly Team.
And here he is, the king of the doom & gloom merchants. The most miserable of all Gills fans, but quite honestly judging by his depressing posts he's probably a Maidstone fan. The last time he was happy about Gills, was when we looked like we were going into the National league last season. Did we nearly beat Stockport, Wrexham and MK, 3 of the top 4, did we nearly beat Southampton and Charlton teams from higher divisions in cup matches, no Solent wake up, it actually happened!!

The low standards and apologism for averageness of some of our fans never ceases to amaze me. Thankfully, despite their own failings this season for what happened on the pitch (and I’m sure they’ll reflect on that), the new owners definitely don’t seem to share those pathetically low standards and expectations and seem to be aiming and talking high and far that I thank them and will be following in suit with expectations already for automatic promotion next season.

And here he is, the king of the doom & gloom merchants. The most miserable of all Gills fans, but quite honestly judging by his depressing posts he's probably a Maidstone fan. The last time he was happy about Gills, was when we looked like we were going into the National league last season. Did we nearly beat Stockport, Wrexham and MK, 3 of the top 4, did we nearly beat Southampton and Charlton teams from higher divisions in cup matches, no Solent wake up, it actually happened!!
Why does beating those teams you mentioned matter if we couldn't even get in the play-offs?

The low standards and apologism for averageness of some of our fans never ceases to amaze me. Thankfully, despite their own failings this season for what happened on the pitch (and I’m sure they’ll reflect on that), the new owners definitely don’t seem to share those pathetically low standards and expectations and seem to be aiming and talking high and far that I thank them and will be following in suit with expectations already for automatic promotion next season.
I'd have a bit more respect for your views if you gave a bit of credit occasionally.
Week after week it's always the same.
A poor performance by a poor team against poor opposition in a poor league. With a ref that's invariably got it in for us and is completely biased.

I'd have a bit more respect for your views if you gave a bit of credit occasionally.
A poor performance by a poor team against poor opposition in a poor league. With a ref that's invariably got it in for us and is completely biased.
Don't knock it. If only we followed ST's template of no excuse or reason for failure, or even inconsistency, we would fly through the divisions and be above Manchester City in four or five seasons.

Mind you, our style of play could still be questioned. :hmmm:

So true, Archie.

The old adage, "you can't wake someone who is pretending to sleep" springs to mind.

'Apologism for averageness' is my new favourite detached from reality quote though. I'm going to use that in the office and see how it goes down...

Why does beating those teams you mentioned matter if we couldn't even get in the play-offs?
Its ok 77, for some reason DC always likes to respond to my posts as I often have a different opinion to him. Why he would suggest I'm a fan of Maidstone i dont know or why I wanted Gills to go into the National league but as long as he is happy and content I'll humour him.

Did we nearly beat Stockport, Wrexham and MK, 3 of the top 4, did we nearly beat Southampton and Charlton teams from higher divisions in cup matches.
Unfortunately to get out of this awful division you need to take a point from the likes of Barrow on a cold and windy Tuesday evening. The present team lacks the moral fibre to compete "up north"
Barrow on a Tues? We couldn't even get more than 2 points out of 6 from relegated FGR!

Did we nearly beat Stockport, Wrexham and MK, 3 of the top 4, did we nearly beat Southampton and Charlton teams from higher divisions in cup matches.
Unfortunately to get out of this awful division you need to take a point from the likes of Barrow on a cold and windy Tuesday evening. The present team lacks the moral fibre to compete "up north"
I don`t think that`s fair, PuB. I attend pretty much all of the games "up north" and, in fairly recent times, generally, we`ve travelled pretty well, especially in the North West. My recollection is that in the majority of games (excepting some 23/24 collapses - eg Harrogate) there`s been no lack of effort from our team. Lack of sufficient quality up front, definitely. Perhaps a lack of on-the-field leadership at times, but I haven`t noticed a team-wide lack of fibre.

I tend to agree with the title of this thread. To a certain extent, I think each fan's outlook depends on their personality - but some people do need to have a dose of realism too. Any success has to be earned, in competition with a load of other teams who all want the same thing. It's never easy.

Basically, we're a small lower league club. Therefore, having followed the Gills for half a century, I don't get too high or low - probably a defence mechanism I've developed to preserve my sanity! Looking back now, it's clear that Harris's sacking (without commenting on the rightness of that decision) wrecked our season. We lost momentum, it took too long to replace him, and Clemence hasn't had time to build his own team. Team is the big word - too often, we've played as a group of individuals. We've had an ok starting XI, apart from the lack of an obvious goal scorer, but we've lacked game-changing options on the bench.

Am I disappointed? Sure. But I can view it rationally and hope that Brad and co will do better, having learned lessons. Let's resolve as fans to give the team our fullest backing next season - loud and proud. Just remember where we were in December 22. At that point I really feared for my club. Now I can dare to look upwards again. But as we know, it's the hope that kills you...

Last edited:
"the likes of Barrow" - that's a bit condescending. They will likely finish in the top 7 and over a course of a season you end up where you deserve.

I don't think they will win the playoffs (they've totally lost form at the wrong time) but they will finish above the majority of teams in this table and that will be deserved.

Whether they can build on it and have another push next season I suspect not but lets give them credit for this season.

Apologies if you didn't mean it that way, the written word doesn't always express what people meant.

I tend to agree with the title of this thread. To a certain extent, I think each fan's outlook depends on their personality - but some people do need to have a dose of realism too. Any success has to be earned, in competition with a load of other teams who all want the same thing. It's never easy.

Basically, we're a small lower league club. Therefore, having followed the Gills for half a century, I don't get too high or low - probably a defence mechanism I've developed to preserve my sanity! Looking back now, it's clear that Harris's sacking (without commenting on the rightness of that decision) wrecked our season. We lost momentum, it took too long to replace him, and Clemence hasn't had time to build his own team. Team is the big word - too often, we've played as a group of individuals. We've had an ok starting XI, apart from the lack of an obvious goal scorer, but we've lacked game-changing options on the bench.

Am I disappointed? Sure. But I can view it rationally and hope that Brad and co will do better, having learned lessons. Let's resolve as fans to give the team our fullest backing next season - loud and proud. Just remember where we were in December 22. At that point I really feared for my club. Now I can dare to look upwards again. But as we know, it's the hope that kills you...

Couple of areas of slight disagreement for me.

As you can probably guess I'm a Clemence sceptic. This building his own team argument for me doesn't quite work. Very few managers/head coaches enjoy the luxury of having their own players, instead they have to work with those inherited from the previous regime. Good managers/head coaches will be able to adapt and improve the inherited players. Seen no evidence of this. Also, I'm still not sure what the Clemence style is. But I accept he's been limited on many occasions in his tactics by the poor recruitment & the lack of quality options available to him.

Said on here before my philosophy on sport is that it's all about the here & now based upon the prevailing circumstances. For that reason I'm never comfortable with the comparison to where we were prior to the Galinsons' arrival. We have to look forward rather than backwards.

The Galinsons are smart & successful business people. They have been on a steep learning curve. Armed with this experience & greater knowledge I'm more than confident that lessons will have been learnt. Next season I'm sure will therefore turn out a lot better on the park than this.

Couple of areas of slight disagreement for me.

As you can probably guess I'm a Clemence sceptic. This building his own team argument for me doesn't quite work. Very few managers/head coaches enjoy the luxury of having their own players, instead they have to work with those inherited from the previous regime. Good managers/head coaches will be able to adapt and improve the inherited players. Seen no evidence of this. Also, I'm still not sure what the Clemence style is. But I accept he's been limited on many occasions in his tactics by the poor recruitment & the lack of quality options available to him.

Said on here before my philosophy on sport is that it's all about the here & now based upon the prevailing circumstances. For that reason I'm never comfortable with the comparison to where we were prior to the Galinsons' arrival. We have to look forward rather than backwards.

The Galinsons are smart & successful business people. They have been on a steep learning curve. Armed with this experience & greater knowledge I'm more than confident that lessons will have been learnt. Next season I'm sure will therefore turn out a lot better on the park than this.

If your philosophy is to embrace the here and now, how can you be sceptical about the future based entirely on the past? Seems somewhat contradictory.

As far as I can see, Clem and Brad have been very clear about what they see as the vision. They have made clear what they want to address.
Do you disagree with it?

If your philosophy is to embrace the here and now, how can you be sceptical about the future based entirely on the past? Seems somewhat contradictory.

As far as I can see, Clem and Brad have been very clear about what they see as the vision. They have made clear what they want to address.
Do you disagree with it?
Its not contradictory at all. Based upon our CURRENT form & performances I'm sceptical of our chances of success with Clemence remaining in post. My reference to the here & now is really a rebuttal to this desire to look back as a comparison to judge the success or otherwise of our season.

Most fans should be able to identify what needs to be improved upon. It's not a vision unique to the owners & head coach. Let's see whether unlike this season it can be delivered & hopefully we're not having similar conversations in October.

Clem said the other day that he wants to get the ball forward quickly and is looking for players who are happy running forward with the ball like Dom Jeffries does.
He’s not a fan of tippy tappy possession football.
Our current problem is that we are very slow and methodical in the defence to attack transition.
We are predictable.
Personally, I don’t think we are more than a few players away from being able to play the way he wants.
It’s now all about the recruitment.