The Official Barrow Match Thread (Sponsored by Ennui "for all your weariness and dissatisfaction needs") | Vital Football

The Official Barrow Match Thread (Sponsored by Ennui "for all your weariness and dissatisfaction needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
Looking up from the foot of the form table is not the sort of place you want to be with three games of the season remaining, whatever your ambitions as a club, but sadly that's where we find ourselves as we go into our penultimate home game of the season against Barrow.

The home form this season has killed us; after becoming a low-scoring fortress again under NH, Priestfield is now the place to go if you love a fairly uneventful draw, with the patrons only having been able to celebrate one solitary home win so far this calendar year. It's also barely worth turning up until half time either, as the home side have proved themselves largely incapable of playing from the first whistle and have developed a phobia of scoring in the first 45. 15 times out of 21 in the League we've drawn a blank in the first half this season, what a way to draw in the crowds.

Speaking of which, the crowd will probably be the main point of interest today given the ongoing lack of activity on the pitch. I suspect a good number of the average 6358 attendance this season will find something more interesting to do with their Saturday afternoon, and who can really blame them? Clearing out the shed, going to the tip, regrouting the bathroom or chipping the piss-scale off the bog with a screwdriver all appear to be more fun options than watching Gillingham FC bumble their way to "Gillingham nil..." again. I also suspect that should another dour performance be offered, some employment advice may well be forthcoming for both players and management at full time.

Frankly, the sooner this season concludes the better. The discussion on this board around the various merits, failures, blames and complaints related to this campaign have been done to death, so it's time to put 2023/24 season to bed despite Clem's bizarre straw-grasping assertion this week that a playoff spot is not yet beyond us that flies in the face of literally every shred of evidence other than a belief in actual miracles.

The head to head shows us leading by 10 to 7, but as most of those fixtures took place when the apparent majority of this board were youthful scamps and I wasn't even a twinkle in my then teenage father's eye, the available highlights are minimal. Instead I'll plump for some footage of a time when watching Gills was a powerful, thrilling experience, one that could have you leaving Priestfield full of joy and not the soul crushingly boring viewing that we've stoically suffered for the majority of the last several years.

It's the first day of the Juniors cricket season today (Jnr's first hardball season) so it's off to the village cricket club for a BBQ and pints in the sun with maybe one earpiece in for the commentary, just so I don't miss out on our miraculous 5-0 win that blows the playoff race wide again...ha ha ha.

Enjoy the game (if you can) and...

COYG!!!

First of 3 really tough games to end the season on. Hopefully the players will respond to the reduced expectation and give us a performance to cheer. Good to hear that Dom Jeffries might get some time today. He's been badly missed.

Thanks Herr, sharing memories of that Preston game will make today’s 5pm pain even worse!

If only Gregan's defensive header that hit his own post in front of the Rainham End had sneaked in...it would have been the greatest day of my life to that point.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, second greatest day, there was a party with a young lady that takes first place...😁

Last edited:
If only Gregan's defensive header that hit his own post in front of the Rainham End had sneaked in...it would have been the greatest day of my life to that point.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, second greatest day, there was a party with a young lady that takes first place...😁
And not marriage, the birth of your children?

Methinks you may be in a bit of bother...

(And, yes, I did notice that you put "to that point", but I know from bitter experience, that gets ignored 🙄)

Walker....again...why? Unless there's a "must be in the squad if fit" clause to his loan deal, I fail to see why he gets the chance above one of our own kids.

Isn’t Masterson on a one year deal? (He’s certainly playing like he is over last few games). If so, why is he starting over Ogie? Given Ogies likely gonna be our CB next season still surely he should be given the start particularly baring in mind Masterons form is shite too.

Isn’t Masterson on a one year deal? (He’s certainly playing like he is over last few games). If so, why is he starting over Ogie? Given Ogies likely gonna be our CB next season still surely he should be given the start particularly baring in mind Masterons form is shite too.

I’d expect a player out of contract in the summer to be playing better than one already contracted for another season to be fair.

I think (from various sources) he’s contracted next season but I’ve not seen anything definitive on that.

I’d usually agree they should be playing better if out of contract, however Masterson is not going to struggle to get another club and has over the course of the season proving himself at at least this level. I do think of late though he’s been shit, and would be happy with Ogie in his place today.

Also don’t get why the inferior goalkeeper is back as “he’s our number one”.

Still footballs all about opinions I guess.

I’d usually agree they should be playing better if out of contract, however Masterson is not going to struggle to get another club and has over the course of the season proving himself at at least this level. I do think of late though he’s been shit, and would be happy with Ogie in his place today.

True, as long as you're aware that Nibbles' is the only one that matters.

Masterson first joined us on loan when we were several points adrift of safety in League One, a year before any BG investment, and then agreed to come on loan again when we were bottom of League Two.

He was clearly very good from the start so why should he suddenly be in demand elsewhere and desperate to get away?

Unless he is homesick of course, but even that would not be a reason for downing tools IMO.

Radio Kent so unarsed about today there's only Furness FM available?

Edit:.Had no idea we'd won a corner because I had no idea who Jonathan Williams is.

Last edited: