So what type of players do you think we need given we now know the likely departures? | Page 2 | Vital Football

So what type of players do you think we need given we now know the likely departures?

When you look at the Mad Dog team that won us the league title we definitely weren’t full up with ex-championship players, competent league two players get promotion. The likes of Malone and Mahoney are expensive luxuries at this level.
It is all conjecture but I think you have to remember the circumstances in which Malone and Mahoney arrived.

Malone was training with us and was expected to find another club, and we had already signed Max Clark as our new left back so we did not really need someone in that position or to stretch the budget for it.

As far as I understand, Malone liked what he saw and he expressed a wish to join which was a bit of a surprise. The cards were all in our favour so I don't think there was any need to push the boat out to get him. I therefore suspect his contract is more modest than many suspect, particularly as it offered the security of a 2 year deal for someone in their thirties.

With regard to Maloney, he quite clearly was out of the picture at Huddersfield and so they would have appreciated any contribution towards paying his salary. I suspect we were paying half of it, at most. If he does want to come back, he will have to be realistic about what we are willing to pay. Otherwise, it will be interesting to see the level of club where he ends up and what they typically pay.

I still think we could do with a real strong, domineering leader at the back. Raggett from Portsmouth could fit the bill and so could Robbie Cundy, just released by Barnsley.

It goes without saying that we need reinforcements in attacking positions. An experienced player like Devante Cole is probably out of our grasp but having been linked with May and JCH recently, you never know.

Kemp has also been released by MK. Given his form for Swindon in first half of last season, would he be a useful recruit?

The trouble was that when we got to League 1 they were not up to the task. If we want to go for promotion in league 1 we need the players already here to do it. They will normally be on 2 year contracts so why waste money rebuilding again?
Were they not? From memory we didn't add too many to the squad that got promoted (Linganzi, Bayo, Cody and Antonio German from memory) and after a slow start we ended up 17th in League One the season after the title winning year. Seemed fine to me at the time.

The team that played the final match of that League One season was:

Nelson, Harriman, Barrett, Legge, Martin, Dack, Hessenthaler, Gregory, Whelpdale, Akinfenwa, McDonald, with Fish, Kedwell and Millbank coming on as subs - 7 of those starters were involved in the title season, with 2 of the subs also key players.

I still think we could do with a real strong, domineering leader at the back. Raggett from Portsmouth could fit the bill and so could Robbie Cundy, just released by Barnsley.

It goes without saying that we need reinforcements in attacking positions. An experienced player like Devante Cole is probably out of our grasp but having been linked with May and JCH recently, you never know.

Kemp has also been released by MK. Given his form for Swindon in first half of last season, would he be a useful recruit?
Good shout on Cundy, really liked him.

I accept your superior knowledge, but I was referring to us aiming for a promotion challenge not just surviving in League 1.
That's why we need to build a quality league two challenge without tying too many players down for the following season.That way you can rebuild or renew . Promotion this season would have meant almost certain relegation.For that contract reasons alone if Harris had the final say on the decisions made before last September it was right he had to go . Fortunately we can move forward but only with a fair amount of funds and some better decisions and luck in the transfer market.

That's why we need to build a quality league two challenge without tying too many players down for the following season.That way you can rebuild or renew . Promotion this season would have meant almost certain relegation.For that contract reasons alone if Harris had the final say on the decisions made before last September it was right he had to go . Fortunately we can move forward but only with a fair amount of funds and some better decisions and luck in the transfer market.
Bonner said clearly in his interview that he only plans for the current season.
Worry about the next season when it comes.
That’s probably why most of the younger players were released.

Are we not getting a little premature here? There are a number of players who still have a contract for next season. Yes, saying they are allowed to leave if the right offer comes their way is great but that does not necessarily guarantee that they WILL be leaving, They are within their rights to stay where they are if they think that is their best option. I know the silly season started right after the final whistle and there is a great hunger for new faces at Priestfield but going at it now, as if their departure is a given, is just going to muddy the water for the real targets. People on here, X and all the other social media sites tend to take things at face value, without basing what they write on facts.

Edit: it goes without saying that those whose contract has lapsed will not be at Priestfield next year.

Last edited:
Need to bring in attacking players that can keep us in L1 at least. Next summer can be the time for bringing in L1 level defensive types. Spend the money wisely.

Are we not getting a little premature here? There are a number of players who still have a contract for next season. Yes, saying they are allowed to leave if the right offer comes their way is great but that does not necessarily guarantee that they WILL be leaving, and that will have a knock-on effect on the budget for new faces, They are within their rights to stay where they are if they think that is their best option. I know the silly season started right after the final whistle and there is a great hunger for new faces at Priestfield but going at it now, as if their departure is a given, is just going to muddy the water for the real targets. People on here, X and all the other social media sites tend to take things at face value, without basing what they write on facts.

Edit: it goes without saying that those whose contract has lapsed will not be at Priestfield next year.

So are we saying that players were given two year contracts by those responsible for drawing up contracts last summer, in the sure and certain knowledge that they would not have been good enough to even ensure survival in League One the following season if we got promoted?

If so, that would point towards a longer term plan and maybe promotion was not an immediate target but a two year plan.

We already knew what the existing players could do and Bonne was only given a one year deal, so are we saying that the new signings - J Williams, Ogie, Clark, Clarke, Malone, Nadesan etc, should have been only offered one year deals? Remember that Nadesan did cost a fee and actually scored 3 goals in consecutive games under Harris (all in wins), plus Malone was top scorer at one time.

There was a theory that Scally was being retained because he was so shrewd at negotiating contracts so the lengths were more likely to be his decisions.

Last edited:
Were they not? From memory we didn't add too many to the squad that got promoted (Linganzi, Bayo, Cody and Antonio German from memory) and after a slow start we ended up 17th in League One the season after the title winning year. Seemed fine to me at the time.

The team that played the final match of that League One season was:

Nelson, Harriman, Barrett, Legge, Martin, Dack, Hessenthaler, Gregory, Whelpdale, Akinfenwa, McDonald, with Fish, Kedwell and Millbank coming on as subs - 7 of those starters were involved in the title season, with 2 of the subs also key players.

Linganzi; I had forgotten about him. Basically signed for us because it was easy for him to get home to France.

I accept your superior knowledge, but I was referring to us aiming for a promotion challenge not just surviving in League 1.

TBF, I don’t think any L2 club could assemble a side to win this division and also aim for promotion the following year without much turnover of players.

Promoted sides always need a refresh just to remain competitive in the higher division let alone challenge.

I can see this seasons L2 top 3 of Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield staying up, but not challenging at the top of L1 without some serious investment in players.

Ipswich last season was an anomaly and absolutely remarkable what their manager did.

TBF, I don’t think any L2 club could assemble a side to win this division and also aim for promotion the following year without much turnover of players.
Promoted sides always need a refresh just to remain competitive in the higher division let alone challenge.
I can see this seasons L2 top 3 of Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield staying up, but not challenging at the top of L1 without some serious investment in players.
Ipswich last season was an anomaly and absolutely remarkable what their manager did.
Carlisle won the play offs last season, beating Stockport, but were relegated well before the end of the season so I fear for Crawley or Crewe.

The other factor is that if a player is clearly of League One or higher standard, 9 times out of 10 they are not going to be interested in choosing a League Two side over other offers. If they do, it would be for the money and you could end up with a JET or Iwan Roberts type mercenary.

The best situation would be to have three or four fast developing youngsters (I note Dack was coming though during the Mad Dog spell) but I don't see that we have that, so the refresh you refer to would have to be achieved through signings next summer if we go up.