So what type of players do you think we need given we now know the likely departures? | Vital Football

So what type of players do you think we need given we now know the likely departures?

chris who

Vital Champions League
Goalkeeper
Probably done unless there is a slightly surprising departure.

Right back
Hutton and McKenzie should be enough in that area .

Central defenders Possibly.But unlikely of any new arrivals.There might be a chance the Ogie might be given a few more opportunities at left wing back which might suit him .I also think Masterson might attract a bid.

Left back
Clark will probably need cover if we are going with a back four Ogie might be required there .I still think another left footed defender would be bonus possibly a leggy young quick talented player would be ideal.

Right midfield A quick winger is a must given the contracts I think it is unlikely Mahoney will be even considered.

Central midfield Coleman Dieng McKenzie Jefferies?
For me the two most important players we need are a playmaker to pick up the ball and distribute it .And that workerhollick midfielder shere energy in abundance.

Left sided midfielder
Like to see a Andy Barcham type wide man.

Up top I would guess we only have room for two players both will need to score goals a pacey box of tricks and a out and out fox in the box goal scoring central striker.

Defence is pretty well stocked. But does depend if MB is going to play a back 3/5 or stick with a regular back 4. If we play 3 CB’s he may want another option for back up and rotation. Unless he sees McKenzie, Dieng and Hawkins able to cover if needed.

Midfield is ok defensively with Coleman, Dieng and possibly Jeffries. We need wide players (if MB choses to play wingers) and a good “central” tough ball player.

Up front is where we need the personnel imho. Even forgetting wide players, I think we ideally need 3 more up top. Cover and competition with Andrews for the big man role. Plus 2 smaller, quicker “goal scorers” to play alongside.

If we get 6 in I’d expect 1 defender, 1 or 2 midfield/wide and 3 up top.

And if we get those I’d expect MB to play 2 up top in either 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.

If we are lacking in our attempts to get at least 2 quality forwards in, he might go 4-2-3-1 which he apparently did at Cambridge when they lost Mullin. He has said he doesn’t mind changing his formations to fit the players in the squad. And hopefully the 3 behind the front man, can perform better together than the 3 we’ve had the last few seasons. A 4-2-3-1 should really look like a 4-2-4 when in possession and attacking.

Not sure that we don't need at least one defender depending on whether the new manager wants to continue with three centre backs along with wing backs.

None of Ehmer, Masterson or Ogie were affected by injuries or suspensions (apart from a late one for Masterson) last season but we can not rely on that happening again, so what cover do we have for those three?

I still do not see Hutton as a natural right back in a back four and in any case it would curb the talent that we bought him for, so I would include him in "right midfield" category which only leaves the adaptable McKenzie as a right back option. Will he suddenly be a regular starter?

We also definitely need an energetic ball carrying midfielder in the Hess or Dempsey mould, and a left sided pacy wide man to balance Hutton.

Then - the hardest part - a couple of forwards with reasonable scoring records and physical enough for the division, at least one of which must have some pace to stretch defences.

The recruitment has to tackle the obvious weaknesses in the present squad both in character & position terms.

We desperately need leaders, mobility, pace & above all goals.

An old fashioned experienced central defender & a tough tackling central midfielder are always needed in L2. Give the necessary strong spine to the team.

Crying out for a ball carrying driving midfielder in the mode of Kyle Dempsey.

Genuine pace & width must be acquired. Essential at Priestfield to break down a defensive opponent.

No excuses now up top. Got to spend money on quality. We need to flex our financial muscle. A pair of proven goal scorers must be secured along with cover for Andrews assuming Hawkins will move on. Cannot continue to sign players of the dubious ability of Nadesan & Walker.

Not sure that we don't need at least one defender depending on whether the new manager wants to continue with three centre backs along with wing backs.

None of Ehmer, Masterson or Ogie were affected by injuries or suspensions (apart from a late one for Masterson) last season but we can not rely on that happening again, so what cover do we have for those three?

I still do not see Hutton as a natural right back in a back four and in any case it would curb the talent that we bought him for, so I would include him in "right midfield" category which only leaves the adaptable McKenzie as a right back option. Will he suddenly be a regular starter?

We also definitely need an energetic ball carrying midfielder in the Hess or Dempsey mould, and a left sided pacy wide man to balance Hutton.

Then - the hardest part - a couple of forwards with reasonable scoring records and physical enough for the division, at least one of which must have some pace to stretch defences.
Hutton has been decent defensively the warnings about his defending have been wrong thus far.
I don't see him as a midfielder at all .As One sir Keith said Bonner is happy to adapt the side formation to the players he has so losing a central defender he would probably go 442.
McKenzie has had decent games at central defence so I have no worries there unless Ogie moves over or Masterson is sold.

I understand the need for goals and pace but it's worth noting that this is a pivotal season for Joe Gbode. I don't expect him to be a starter in August but surely he will get more game time this coming season.

We need to be fairly certain about any further departures before some decisions are made. I expect the offer to Jeffries to be accepted or rejected swiftly. With Mahoney gone we need a wide player in any event and pace will be a top requirement.

A hard b#stard who kicks a#se and won't allow our talented players to steal any more wages.
Yeah, as already said we need someone of that ilk in central midfield (less of this ball carrying midfielder malarkey please), and probably another at centre back too.

In desperate need of some honest grit and determination (much like Maccca last time round).

The way I see it is I'm happy we are promotion-possible at starting positions for:

Turner (GK)
Hutton (RB/RWB)
Masterson (CB)
Ogie (CB)
Coleman (CDM)
Williams (10/)
Andrews (ST)

At this point, I'm up for anyone who betters what we have in reserve.
Very clearly we need wide men/pace, and another quality central midfielder - especially if Jeffries goes.

If all 4 listed for transfer leave I think we need 7 new signings, 4 of which absolutely need to be first XI/starting calibre players if promotion is a realistic aim.

I know he won't likely stay but I'd still be more than happy with Malone at LB/LWB still...

Hutton has been decent defensively the warnings about his defending have been wrong thus far.
I don't see him as a midfielder at all .As One sir Keith said Bonner is happy to adapt the side formation to the players he has so losing a central defender he would probably go 442.
McKenzie has had decent games at central defence so I have no worries there unless Ogie moves over or Masterson is sold.
Not wishing to labour the point but I felt, that with no strikers worth the name both Harris and Clemence had to play defensively.
With a bit of luck and shed loads of money, I'm hoping Bonner will be able to change that.

I have a slightly different take - has he been caught out a few times when playing naturally at RB in a 4 (Morecambe, Harrogate spring to mind). He's solid in recovery but I think his defensive awareness isn't ideal and without the extra CB, he looks a little vulnerable to me at times. I'm prepared to accept that, though, if it means we get him forward but that's my second issue - I don't think he did as much attacking, either, when we were in a 4.

To me, we either give him the freedom of playing RWB (where he's as good as anyone in L2) or we find better ways to encourage him up the field in a 4. Hopefully we'll have some better attacking quality next year, though, so it won't all fall on his shoulders to create...

I`ll be happy if we can successfully address:

Leadership
Pace
Width
Forward Potency

So, maybe the shopping list, key minimum requirement, "top dollar" ,should read:

Experienced, no-nonsense midfield general
Fast, good crossing LWB (assuming Scott Malone is on his way out)
Two (at least) quality, fast, strong Forwards

If budget allows, consider: Experienced, top dollar central defender in the mould of (Mansfield`s) Aden Flint; third goalie; solid, sound RB.

Looking forward to the next few weeks, our recruitment of key players will likely make or break our promotion ambition. UTG.

Not sure I agree with that, Chris. Going forward, in a back five, Hutton`s been excellent. But, in a back four, our RHS has been weak, especially during the last couple of months of the season.

The way I see it is I'm happy we are promotion-possible at starting positions for:

Turner (GK)
Hutton (RB/RWB)
Masterson (CB)
Ogie (CB)
Coleman (CDM)
Williams (10/)
Andrews (ST)

At this point, I'm up for anyone who betters what we have in reserve.
Very clearly we need wide men/pace, and another quality central midfielder - especially if Jeffries goes.

If all 4 listed for transfer leave I think we need 7 new signings, 4 of which absolutely need to be first XI/starting calibre players if promotion is a realistic aim.

I know he won't likely stay but I'd still be more than happy with Malone at LB/LWB still...
I was going to say the same thing. We need pace, creativity and goals.

7 new players - 3 strikers, 3 midfielders and a defender depending on formation

If we have the money available and really want promotion, we should be looking at out of contract Championship players. Offer competitive League 1 type contracts.
As we are using a computer programme to choose players, what happens MB want's him but the computer says no.

If we have the money available and really want promotion, we should be looking at out of contract Championship players. Offer competitive League 1 type contracts.
As we are using a computer programme to choose players, what happens MB want's him but the computer says no.
Sorry to disagree but that approach didn’t work with Malone and Max Clarke made the left back position his own about half way through the season. Malone is now on the transfer list and I suspect on much higher wages than Max.

When you look at the Mad Dog team that won us the league title we definitely weren’t full up with ex-championship players, competent league two players get promotion. The likes of Malone and Mahoney are expensive luxuries at this level.

Sorry to disagree but that approach didn’t work with Malone and Max Clarke made the left back position his own about half way through the season. Malone is now on the transfer list and I suspect on much higher wages than Max.

When you look at the Mad Dog team that won us the league title we definitely weren’t full up with ex-championship players, competent league two players get promotion. The likes of Malone and Mahoney are expensive luxuries at this level.
The trouble was that when we got to League 1 they were not up to the task. If we want to go for promotion in league 1 we need the players already here to do it. They will normally be on 2 year contracts so why waste money rebuilding again?