Predictions at beginning of the season | Page 2 | Vital Football

Predictions at beginning of the season

I made the following prediction in July with the caveat ‘based on gills making the calibre of forward signings I’m expecting’

Really shows how much Crawley have overachieved.
IMG_1161.jpeg

I didn't post in that thread, but had us top eight along with Stockport, Mansfield, MK Dons, Wrexham (did quite well with those), Notts County (good for half a season anyway), Bradford and Salford. Out of those I expected Stockport to be champions but could have made a decent case for any of them. Crawley and Sutton to go down.

On that basis, missing the top eight is a failure but well done to Barrow, Crewe and Crawley who've outperformed us with squads that look significantly inferior on paper.

With hindsight leaping from 17th last season to serious promotion contenders was unlikely, especially once it became clear the late signing of Bonne wouldn't address the most glaring deficiency.

On that basis, missing the top eight is a failure but well done to Barrow, Crewe and Crawley who've outperformed us with squads that look significantly inferior on paper.

Crawley - Orsi, 17 goals, 3 assists, plus Lolos (9 goals), Campbell (7 goals)
Crewe - Nevitt, 14 goals, 2 assists & Courtney Baker-Richardson, 10 goals, 2 assists (plus Chris Long, 9 goals)
Barrow - Stockton, 7 goals (in 14 games, since signing) plus 21 more from Spence, Whitfield and Acauah)

Less so Barrow (but they have been very hard to break down defensively)... they all have potent front lines which has made a difference.

Here was mine

1. Stockport
2. Mansfield
3. Wrexham
———————
4. Bradford
5. Notts County
6. MK Dons
7. Sutton
———————
8. Gills
9. Grimsby
10. Donny
11. AFCW
12. Swindon
13. Tranny
14. Newport
15. Accrington
16. Salford
17. Walsall
18. Barra
19. FGR
20. Crewe
21. Colchester
22. Harrogate
———————
23. Crawley
24. Morecambe

I expected minimum top 7. Fair chance of top 3.

We've been gash and f'ing boring yet again.

I look back on season 92/3 with rose tinted spectacles by comparison. Even 70/71 had more fun.