Potential targets(GITB video link)? | Vital Football

Potential targets(GITB video link)?

Well put together imho. A decent look at some potential and potentially achievable signings. With the exception of Abo Eisa who I doubt would come South based on his club history.

Let me ask a slightly different additional question. Who have you seen in any match (not on tv) that you think we should look at?

Perhaps Matt can have a nosey at them instead of having to spend time with his family 😉

Please be reasonable 🙄

I definitely agree with Matt it is time to bring in a natural goalscorer from the National league. We have enough Billy big boots type players. We need a few down to earth players who see Gillingham as a step forward. Of course the scouting needs to be right.

I definitely agree with Matt it is time to bring in a natural goalscorer from the National league. We have enough Billy big boots type players. We need a few down to earth players who see Gillingham as a step forward. Of course the scouting needs to be right.
First time I've watched Matt & very impressed with his enthusiasm, however, twice he said THE PRIESTFIELD! Will forgive you Matt if you don't do it again!

We saw enough good things from Hurtado to make him worth a punt.

But as someone else noted a few weeks ago, if Watford saw any footage of how Swindon tried to deal with him, they might have second thoughts about loaning him out into League Two again.

We saw enough good things from Hurtado to make him worth a punt.

But as someone else noted a few weeks ago, if Watford saw any footage of how Swindon tried to deal with him, they might have second thoughts about loaning him out into League Two again.

We’ll just hide the footage 👍

TBF, I reckon if Watford were against sending him back here they’d have probably asked him not to spend time watching our games and mingling with our squad. Sounds like he built up a rapport with Romaeo Hutton.

Fingers crossed 🤞

I’d love to see him back every time he got the ball the place was buzzing imagine him fully fit with a full pre season behind him

I’d love to see him back every time he got the ball the place was buzzing imagine him fully fit with a full pre season behind him

I’d love that too. But I don’t think many loanees arrive anywhere early in pre-season.

They are the top-up players, once the main squad is sorted. Also clubs don’t tend to want to pay for the loanees until the actual games start. Finally, Watford may want to spend time seeing if there’s another higher club that might want to give game time to their starlet. As well as seeing him for themselves in their own preseason training and games.

Only reason I can see him here early is if he requests it from his parent club. And I’m not sure he’s that in love with our club yet.

Like this video - as always, good from Matt.

Would take back Hurtado, absolutely.

Agree greatly about Fevrier - mentioned him in this thread. I suspect, though, unless Colchester go down, he's going to be a key block for them to build around going forward.

Dinanga is another name I thought we had some potential with back in the January window.

Bridge, though, I'm not sold. I agree he's direct at times, but from what I saw, a lack of pace and is very light on the ball. If it was in competition with Mahoney, fair enough - I think they're somewhat similar types of player, but I prefer Connor. I don't think we can play with both of them at the same time or again, we're no threat to go in behind...

Bridge, though, I'm not sold. I agree he's direct at times, but from what I saw, a lack of pace and is very light on the ball. If it was in competition with Mahoney, fair enough - I think they're somewhat similar types of player, but I prefer Connor. I don't think we can play with both of them at the same time or again, we're no threat to go in behind...
I thought Bridge was a youngster as well, but he is 28 so if he is not ready now, I doubt he ever will be.

Dinanga of Gateshead is athletic and pretty quick but he`s not a power forward. Might play well alongside Andrews.

Jack Bridge looks decent, mature, very attack minded and tenacious. He was the driving force behind Southend`s dominance over Fylde when I watched him a couple of weeks back.

Whilst there are plenty of gems in the NL, especially young mega impressive players, i`m going to be a tad contradictive when I say that for the Gills promotion drive next season, my belief is that we need to be looking at the very top end of L2 and also into L1 for the kind of impact forwards/players required.

A shopping list that includes at least two quality, speedy, strong industrious forwards (of the Isaac Olaofe type), at least two experienced strong charactered midfielders (of the Joe Pritchard type), a fast left sided wide player (of the Dan Agyei type) and a big experienced central defender (of the Aiden Flint type) would be most appealing.

Reading between the lines, I truly believe that our owners are prepared to back the type of acquisitions mentioned (on the shopping list). The Gallinsons appear pragmatic and will no doubt be looking at the type of recruitment undertaken by the clubs leaving L2 behind them this summer as a gauge for our future transactions.

I liked the video, it was well thought out and put together well, but that is almost a given with Matt. What I am certainly not sure of is the reasoning behind it. We haven't played our last game yet and already there are names coming forward to replace players who are, in all likelyhood, contracted to us until June the first or even longer.

Looking (and thinking) back at other threads of a similar ilk there have been so many names put forward who were nowhere near joining the club and most of those who did had not been suggested by anyone. Let's put this season to bed, have a nice holiday and come back when the transfer period has actually started. Time enough to offer up the names of players we would really like to see wearing our kit.

I really don't want to put this thread or anyone down, it just gets a wee bit tedious, and at times downright bad tempered during the - let's call them - discussions/speculation as to whether player a or b is good enough added to the squad.

Clemence will hopefully have a lot more influence over who joins and how he wants the team plays next season. To date, I am not really conviced he is the man to take us forward however the Galinsons do have faith in him and I feel sure they will give him the tools he needs to make just about a new team. I also feel fairly certain his head will be on the chopping block PDQ if the season starts as badly as the last one.

Last edited:
I liked the video, it was well thought out and put together well, but that is almost a given with Matt. What I am certainly not sure of is the reasoning behind it. We haven't played our last game yet and already there are names coming forward to replace players who are, in all likelyhood, ocntracted to us until June the first or even longer.

Looking (and thinking) back at other threads of a similar ilk there have been so many names put forward who were nowhere near joining the club and most of those who did had nor been suggested by anyone. Let's put this season to bed, have a nice holiday and come back when the transfer period has actually started. Time enough to offer up the names of players we would really like to see wearing our kit.

I really don't want to put this or anyone down, it just gets a wee bit tedious, and at times downright bad tempered during the - let's call them - discussions/speculation as to whether player a or b is good enough added to the squad.

Clemence will hopefully have a lot more influence over who joins and how he wants the team plays next season. To date, I am not really conviced he is the man to take us forward however the Galinsons do have faith in him and I feel sure they will give him the tools he needs to make just about a new team. I also feel fairly certain his head will be on the chopping block PDQ if the season starts as badly as the last one.
The reason for the early output from Matt has been made fairly clear in the video. He wants to get then done so he has more family time during the summer. Matt's wife is a bit of a hero in my book.She has had a difficult tightrope to travel in recent times.I am sure there were times she wanted Matt to give it up.So please give Matt the benefit here these names would have taken time and a lot of hard work.

Of course I respect that totally Chris and I hope he has a great summer together with his family. I just find the timing a little unfortunate and seriously hope we are not going to get another thread with thousands of postings and as many people trying to stifle or ridicule the thoughts of others.

Come on, Alex. In the main it's simply some well intentioned speculation, a staple for a fun fuelled forum. I enjoyed Matt s video, though of all the Mansfield players he mentioned, he omitted their star defender Aden Flint, who would be excellent in our back line and whose contract is, I believe, currently under review 😀