NI v Germany | Vital Football

NI v Germany

ME2blue

Vital Squad Member
Really rooting for Northern Ireland tonight, be fantastic to have the three Brit teams in the knock outs. But they've got the World Champions in front of them. Michael O'Neill has done wonders with a squad mostly made up of players outside of the Premier League, could they grab a point which could be enough to qualify?

:93:

I want Northern Ireland to win but I wnat them to win for the Irish, not the fucking 'British'. Couldn't give a toss about, 'Britain'. Do you think Wales think they are representing Britain, FFS?

Northern Ireland should get their own anthem. So should England.

So come on the Irish, both the Republic and Northern, do it for the Emerald Isle!

I think many many NI fans in particular will feel 'part of britain', due to the history and the loyalist nature of a lot of NI fans. Unfortunately in that country it's still a fairly big divide between Republic and Loyalists.

I was also kind of interested to see that Wales fans 'teamed up' with England in Lille recently to fend off any threat of trouble from Russia.

I suspected that actually they might add to the trouble over there and make the most of England being under FIFA warnings about trouble etc. So maybe they don't hate England as much as we think. I know they love to beat us, but when the chips are down they supported us against the Russians so that's at least a start.

Whatever combination happens N.Ireland will at least finish 3rd. The only way they can finish in the top 2 is by beating Germany. A win for N.Ireland coupled with a Ukraine win or a draw would see N.Ireland top the group. If N.Ireland win and Poland beat Ukraine, they come 2nd. Essentially - they have to win!

With 3 points, and a goal difference of +1, (well 0 if they lose by a single goal), then they would stand a very good chance of going through as one of the top 4 3rd placed teams even if they lose by a single goal.

There are only 6 3rd placed teams and albania already have 3 points but a minus goal difference, and results would have to go badlty against them in the remaining groups for them to do worse than 1 other of the 3rd placed team.

That said, Germany definitely look beatable. They have not convinced either before the tournement or in the last 2 games.

Northern Ireland lost 1-0 but could have been a lot worse if it wasn't for their GK. They will qualify this evening if Czech Republic Vs Turkey is a draw, or Turkey win (by less than 4 goals)