New Manager (Rumours and Suggestions) | Page 21 | Vital Football

New Manager (Rumours and Suggestions)

One name not mentioned this time is Bromley's Andy Woodman.If it was true that he turned down our approach before it would be perhaps more likely now.However he would have more pulling power now .It is no mean achievement what he has done.

One name not mentioned this time is Bromley's Andy Woodman.If it was true that he turned down our approach before it would be perhaps more likely now.However he would have more pulling power now .It is no mean achievement what he has done.
He didn’t turn down our approach, we wouldn’t pay Bromley compensation and then appointed Harris

Cook at Chesterfield did better. Won the league outright

The local takeaways will be as happy as when Evans was here, then.

I seem to remember some comments he made about our reported interest that were not the most respectful. Claimed he turned us down but I suspect he was only one target and compensation ruled him out before interviews, let alone being offered the job.

If they are so ambitious, how come the stadium is still so small and the 3G or 5G pitch which must have given them an advantage is now going to have to be ripped out which may affect their budget?

Last edited:
I'm not saying he should be considered only that since his name was first mentioned he has increased his pedigree.
I think that it seems likely that KJ picked or had a big influence last time this time who knows who has BG ear?
But I think KJ will have to sit and wait same as us with little if any influence.
The decision could well influence the future of KJ at Gills which is why I doubt he will have much say it it this time around.
The talk was going over to a more statistics based recruitment so I wonder if that might be one of the biggest influences this time when we pick a manager their win percentages, promotions and general experience.

Last edited:
First page of this thread I mentioned Woodman before Brexiteer decided he was non league rubbish.

If they are so ambitious, how come the stadium is still so small and the 3G or 5G pitch which must have given them an advantage is now going to have to be ripped out which may affect their budget?

You seem offended that he turned us down. It was the right call at the time - we were destined for the drop so if he comes in an oversees that his reputation as an EFL manager is immediately in tatters.

In terms of ambition, like us there’s no point Bromley increasing the size of their ground unless they are filling it on a regular basis. Who knows that might happen now they are a league club but very strange to call out a perceived lack of ambition from a club that has just gained promotion to the highest level in its history.

How does them having to rip up their artificial pitch signal a lack of ambition?

You seem offended that he turned us down. It was the right call at the time - we were destined for the drop so if he comes in an oversees that his reputation as an EFL manager is immediately in tatters.

In terms of ambition, like us there’s no point Bromley increasing the size of their ground unless they are filling it on a regular basis. Who knows that might happen now they are a league club but very strange to call out a perceived lack of ambition from a club that has just gained promotion to the highest level in its history.

How does them having to rip up their artificial pitch signal a lack of ambition?
It’s a farce how artificial pitches were deemed good enough for the Champions League final in Russia but not for Sutton vs Forest Green in the 4th tier of English football.

We should especially be looking at these pitches given the appalling state of some of the accepted pitches this year.

Not to mention the financial state of some clubs who haven’t been fortunate to have been taken over by rich foreigners.

We should especially be looking at these pitches given the appalling state of some of the accepted pitches this year.

Crawley should be made to either install one or a decent drainage system.

I haven’t got much experience with watching games on them. Maidstone’s was clearly awkward for our players in the Kent Senior Cup giving them a huge advantage but Chatham Town’s was much better.

Agreed, and to be honest if I were Woodman I would still not be particularly interested in joining Gills today. He's a consistent performer at Bromley, will have huge cachet in both the dressing room and the board room, and he's now heading up a football league side. Moreover, we know that clubs promoted from the NL to L2 have a very good chance at performing well the following season. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they challenge for the playoffs next season. Every chance they could finish above us.

Bradford were allowed to play on a pitch like this while another club couldn’t pay their players a few times this season, but a revenue-making, fixture-backlog-saving feature like a modern plastic pitch is a no-no 😂

32534e7c-8312-4c6a-af2f-91705057e4e6.jpeg

With more and more unpredictable weather it would seem the sensible route to go, but with snow and ice matches are normally called off for the safety of the spectators.

With more and more unpredictable weather it would seem the sensible route to go, but with snow and ice matches are normally called off for the safety of the spectators.
I get that, I remember even clubs like Arsenal having postponents these last few seasons due to the surrounding roads. But an artificial pitch will still cut down on many cancellations and will ensure a harsh winter won’t destroy the pitch for the rest of the season.

Not to mention the revenue-generating aspect.

I have decided that I really don't care who becomes our next manager because whoever it is, the poor barsteward will be on a hiding to nothing. Half of the supporters will be apoplectic because they consider him unworthy or don't like the idea of the team playing 2-3-5 (as in olden days) and the other half will be singing his praise and taking the piss out of the ones who don't like him.

Whoever it is, we will just have to accept (and hopefully support) him,her,they, them or however they see themselves because......... we can't do a frakking thing about it. It's a case of like it or lump it.

Please wake me up when a decision has been made. Cheers!

Spot on aflp. The effects of social media.

“Back in the day” when they were appointed I can’t remember any fans being particularly pro or anti Andy Nelson, Len Ashurst, Gerry Summers, Keith Peacock, Damien Richardson, Glenn Roeder, Tony Pulis, Hess or PT (first times) etc

Managers were simply announced and us fans just got on with it and supported them until such time as warranted otherwise due to results.

Now, a lot of fans seem to have to take a side for or against a manager even before they’ve been appointed. And then, if it’s not their choice, be angry and frustrated from day 1 and not willing to even give them a fair chance before writing them off.

Spot on aflp. The effects of social media.

“Back in the day” when they were appointed I can’t remember any fans being particularly pro or anti Andy Nelson, Len Ashurst, Gerry Summers, Keith Peacock, Damien Richardson, Glenn Roeder, Tony Pulis, Hess or PT (first times) etc

Managers were simply announced and us fans just got on with it and supported them until such time as warranted otherwise due to results.

Now, a lot of fans seem to have to take a side for or against a manager even before they’ve been appointed. And then, if it’s not their choice, be angry and frustrated from day 1 and not willing to even give them a fair chance before writing them off.
That’s social media for ya !