Match Thread: Oxford United v Lincoln City | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Oxford United v Lincoln City

I haven't read their forum but on Twitter, 99% of posts I've seen are actually very complimentary of how we went about it last night.

Very scathing on Yellows forum (with the odd compliment) about us being like an even worse version of Wycombe, ultra physical longball and ugly thuggery, masters of the darkest arts. Read plenty of comments how they wouldn’t want to watch a side like that.

However, we got the job done by whatever means possible, the three points were the most important thing last night and if we have to scrap, dig in and use any advantage to get over the line then we have to do it.

Very scathing on Yellows forum (with the odd compliment) about us being like an even worse version of Wycombe, ultra physical longball and ugly thuggery, masters of the darkest arts. Read plenty of comments how they wouldn’t want to watch a side like that.

However, we got the job done by whatever means possible, the three points were the most important thing last night and if we have to scrap, dig in and use any advantage to get over the line then we have to do it.
They'll enjoy Friday night even more then!!

It's being reported that Reeco has a suspected dislocated shoulder from tonight.
Can't see him back for the 2 or 5 games left now

Remember Lee Beevers always dislocating his shoulder? Think he popped it back in mid-game once. Did his shoulder issues even end his career?

A comment from their Facebook group on one of my posts: "Lincoln were probably the most well-organised team to come to Oxford and certainly did their homework on us.

The referee certainly ruined what could have been a great game?

The penalty (after viewing) wasn’t one, the player clearly got the ball?

But obviously, if it had been given to us I would have been happy to accept it?

Your fans at the game did you credit, it’s a shame “some” on here don’t?

It’s going to be close, but may the best team win"

I really enjoyed the performance last night. Totally agree with the fact we just wanted it more, which is a great credit to MS and the team as they looked so jaded and dejected at FT on Saturday. Earahon again was superb, credit to Mandroiu as well.

Had a very civilised conversation with one of their fans on the way back to the car. Complimented us on our defensive organisation, I said they looked by far the better footballing team on the night but we came to get a job done, which given their recent form was inevitable...

Just watching the brief highlights, did their keeper get a hand to it?
On the pen the ball actually went on to hit the post and Joe was on the ball about 2 yards from goal albeit facing the wrong way

Just watching the brief highlights, did their keeper get a hand to it?
On the pen the ball actually went on to hit the post and Joe was on the ball about 2 yards from goal albeit facing the wrong way
Yeah the keeper got a piece of it, powerfully struck penno though and he was going away from the ball so unlikely to stop it unless he got pretty much his entire hand/arm behind it.

Why would you give a flying feck about the sore-loser gripings from the tiny rump of Thames Valley Royals supporters who could be bothered to turn out to watch their self-proclaimed ‘biggest game of the season ‘? Nothings, never-weres, never-will-bes

I watched on iFollow. Can I say a big thank you to all the travelling Imp fans. Your support was magnificent and it sounded like a home game.
I am unable to go to Cheltenham but would urge those who are going to make more noise than ever - make it another home game.
We are the team's 12th man and the lads appreciate and feed on the noisy support. Help them get over the line in another Cup Final.
UTI

Had to take my 3 Cheltenham tickets back due to ill health.

Took them back Tuesday and at 10pm last night i was 95% the way through buying them back.

Common sense took over in the end and will just have to listen to the game on Radio Lincs or follow on Sky Sports News.

Last edited:
Losing after a run like we've had was inevitable at some stage - a pity it was at home, I suppose.

But equally important is that the response was to win the next match - shows real character in the squad- something to be proud of, and to look forward to. Let's hope there's still something to play for on 27th.

I hope we are able to give the play-offs a go this season. There's no guarantees that next season we can assume progress will remain the same, since a feature of the "model" is that it is surely inevitable we will lose our loanees and best players, so there will always be a rebuilding process ongoing. But we do seem to have attracted a manager who gets the best out of individuals and the team as a whole. So exciting times.

Had a very civilised conversation with one of their fans on the way back to the car. Complimented us on our defensive organisation, I said they looked by far the better footballing team on the night but we came to get a job done, which given their recent form was inevitable...
I also had a conversation with one of their fans afterwards, fair to say he didn’t give us many compliments. He got quite irrational and angry and pretty scathing of our performance. I felt I should possibly apologise on our teams behalf but somehow the words came out as “ p*ss off you self entitled tw*t”.

Remember Lee Beevers always dislocating his shoulder? Think he popped it back in mid-game once. Did his shoulder issues even end his career?
One occasion was Jackson’s first game at home to Chester I think? Danny Hone came on as a young lad for his debut.

I imagine it was that bad knee injury under Cowley for Beevers.