Mahoney open to staying | Page 2 | Vital Football

Mahoney open to staying

Better than sh#t isn't good enough for me. I'd bin the others you mentioned too.

Agreed. None of our attacking players should be assured of being here next season, especially if we're going to play Clemence's preferred 4-3-3.

That system will require a far better work rate both with and without the ball and I'm not sure any of Mahoney, JW or Lapslie would fit into that system.

Whilst there are other issues to our lack of goals the stats for those three players for goals and assists do not make good reading.

The retained list in a few weeks time will be interesting and give us an idea how radical and wholesale the changes will be. Before that though BG needs to decide if SC is the man to take us forward next season. If we lose the next 3 (which is quite possible) that might make the decision a little more tricky.

Last edited:
It all depends on what system we play. If we play a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 with wingers/wide attackers, he could be an asset, but if we play a narrower system like a diamond or 4-2-3-1, I can't see him being effective. He is quality player, so a yes for me, but only in the right system. He doesn't work in a 5-3-2 at all. However, I'd like to see Clem experiment with systems in the last three games and also see who should be here next season and whether they could play in different systems. For example, could Connor play at left wing back with Hutton at RWB? If we played Hawkins and Andrews, that could lead to a hell of a problem for teams. Is it worth testing Hutton further up the field? Could Ogie play at Left back? Could Masterson play at Right Back? Could either play in the midfield?

I am on the fence with Mahoney, he does seem to go missing for long periods of the game but wonder if that is because because teams have worked out that if they keep tight on him and work on cutting off his supply then we have very little else to threaten them with.

I do think he is doing more defensively now than at the start of the season and will potentially continue to improve with game time however we have seen to many loans turned into permanent signings and you wonder what happened to the player you had on loan.

We need to have more than one player in the squad capable of running at opposition, taking them on and prepared to shoot. If we did it wouldn't be so easy to stop and maybe Mahoney wouldn't appear to go missing as much as he does.

We need to be signing Mahoney type players, whether Mahoney is one of them next season will likely depend on his wage demands and if the manager truly believes there is more to come. It is one thing to identify players, it is entirely different matter convincing them to sign.

A simple decision as we need to change things in forward areas. Anyone who is out of contract in attacking areas has to go.That way we have the maximum potential budget for a goalscorer.We also need a winger with pace and ideally a powerful Iffy type forward too.
Mahoney rarely offers enough and given we will be left with others without pace he simply must go.
We currently have Lapslie, J Williams, Mahoney and Dieng all of who can play in one position where two players at most are needed.

I would definitely keep him, as has been said by many on this thread already; he's the only one who can run at defences and turn them inside out, hence the Morecambe goal I think it was. Nobody else in this team can do that and excite the fans, Dieng's pedestrian in comparison.