League One Match Thread (19/04/24 - 20/04/24) | Page 6 | Vital Football

League One Match Thread (19/04/24 - 20/04/24)

He also reckons they were shafted by Sky coverage bringing the game forward to tonight after they had already rearranged the game with us to Tuesday evening in the same week. Said they wouldn't have done so if they had known.
So some good came from the international break then.

I dont think there is any advantage to us if Barnsley fail to win any more. If we win our last two games we make it anyway... and if blackpool and Oxford drop points then maybe 4 points could do it too.

If we beat Cheltenham today I think we need to hope Wigan get a point at Pompey, which will stop them reaching the 100 point mark, which they might want to achieve. They may not be after it, but hopefully they’ll have nothing left to play for when they come to us next week. 🤔🤐🤫
The Portsmouth manager has said that is there target in his interviews since winning the league

Good luck to the Imps and travelling fans. The phscology for both fans and the team to achieve the heights of Tuesday's rollercoaster, will be difficult. The physical effort is one that the team will have to recreate against a battling Cheltenham side. Other matches this afternoon are going to play a part in the sporting drama drama. Blackpool and Portsmouth games are going to play some part in the end of season saga. Riveting scenarios unfolding!

I dont think there is any advantage to us if Barnsley fail to win any more. If we win our last two games we make it anyway... and if blackpool and Oxford drop points then maybe 4 points could do it too.
I think there might be a different advantage. If we sneaked 5th we might avoid Bolton in the playoff two legs. They are a horrible team to play against, Evatt is very streetwise and seems to find a way for his team to win. Our record against them, including this season where they are the only team to do the double over us, is a shocker. I know it could be a mixed blessing as it would likely be Posh, but I think they have a soft underbelly. It might also mean Bolton at Wembley if we got to the said underbelly. I know I shouldn't be messaging any of this, as it is tempting fate!

I think there might be a different advantage. If we sneaked 5th we might avoid Bolton in the playoff two legs. They are a horrible team to play against, Evatt is very streetwise and seems to find a way for his team to win. Our record against them, including this season where they are the only team to do the double over us, is a shocker. I know it could be a mixed blessing as it would likely be Posh, but I think they have a soft underbelly. It might also mean Bolton at Wembley if we got to the said underbelly. I know I shouldn't be messaging any of this, as it is tempting fate!
Agreed.. but I'm just thinking of getting into the top 6 first.

Yes before I was all for Blackpool winning to drag Barnsley into it, now less sure, but of course different permutations could come into play. As long as we do our job and win today, us and Oxford could both lose next week but a Blackpool win means they could leapfrog us both potentially. On the other hand 4 points from two games could be enough to overtake Barnsley if they lose both, Oxford & Blackpool would both need to win last game then to overtake us both.
A win for Barnsley takes them out of sight .
At the end of the day let’s win our game and the others will take care of themselves.

Why does Peterborough have such a relatively large Italian community?

It goes back to the last century (at least) and especially after the war ended, many Italians came over looking for work and in this area there was a proliferation of clay pits which housed many brick-making sites and there was always plenty of work available. Some immigrants worked on the land, others on the railways and, gradually, the community grew and grew.
If you ever went through Peterborough on the train to London, the south side of the city was where you could see a plethora of tall chimney stacks, indicating kilns in the brick works. They numbered over 100 as I recall. Now, there is only one working yard left and that is near Whittlesey; there are just three chimney stacks left today and the vast majority of the former pits were filled with fly-ash from the coal-fired power stations in the very late 70s/early 80s. That land was eventually reclaimed for house building and today there are two or three massive estates where there used to be none.

I hope that helps a bit GB...

If we win our last two games we make it anyway...
Not necessarily, there is a mathematical permutation: Lincoln will have 77 points with two wins, but so will Oxford if they win at Exeter on the final day. That means they can theoretically overtake us with a big win and eliminate the differential in goal difference. They would need to win by a minimum of six, though, which seems unlikely. And it could be more than six if Lincoln win either or both of their games by more than a single goal.

Not necessarily, there is a mathematical permutation: Lincoln will have 77 points with two wins, but so will Oxford if they win at Exeter on the final day. That means they can theoretically overtake us with a big win and eliminate the differential in goal difference. They would need to win by a minimum of six, though, which seems unlikely. And it could be more than six if Lincoln win either or both of their games by more than a single goal.

Hey, Scotty, you are what I fondly call a 'pessimistic optimist' as proven by the above! :grinning:

It goes back to the last century (at least) and especially after the war ended, many Italians came over looking for work and in this area there was a proliferation of clay pits which housed many brick-making sites and there was always plenty of work available. Some immigrants worked on the land, others on the railways and, gradually, the community grew and grew.
If you ever went through Peterborough on the train to London, the south side of the city was where you could see a plethora of tall chimney stacks, indicating kilns in the brick works. They numbered over 100 as I recall. Now, there is only one working yard left and that is near Whittlesey; there are just three chimney stacks left today and the vast majority of the former pits were filled with fly-ash from the coal-fired power stations in the very late 70s/early 80s. That land was eventually reclaimed for house building and today there are two or three massive estates where there used to be none.

Cheers! I actually lived in Peterborough for a short period of about 6 months or so back in 2009, and was aware of all the estates and expansion to the south of town, but didn't know that they had been brick works/clay pits, and that that was the main reason for the sizeable Italian population. It's a funny place with all the parkways. Feels quite disjointed as a result.

I think we will need at least 4 points from the two games to get 6th.

Our form over the last 6 games is second to only Portsmouth and Exeter (Oxford's last opponents), so no one will want us in the Play offs, because if we get there our form will have to be better than theirs. Bolton have only won 2 in 6, Posh have lost every other game and Barnsley have dropped 11 points from 12.

Bolton and Peterborough still have to play each other, so I think it will be Posh 3rd, Bolton 4th, Barnsley 5th (they have to get one win from their last two games), and us, Blackpool or Oxford for 6th.

Quite frankly though, it is any two from four for the last two places - it is still possible for Blackpool to finish 5th and Barnsley to finish 8th.

No ice cream wars then?