Julian Burley: 100,000 Not Out | Vital Football

Julian Burley: 100,000 Not Out

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
Some innings!

As many of you will be aware, Jules has been running VLC for well over a decade. When he assumed control, the site was neglected and drifting aimlessly; with the support initially of family and friends, he slowly but surely dragged it back despite the shadow cast by relegation from the Football League and those six years in purgatory. To have developed an active membership against that depressing backdrop is no mean achievement, and he did it through an astonishing personal commitment. Given his own well-publicised struggles with mental health and the efforts of those who did not wish to see him succeed, he would have been forgiven for throwing in the towel long ago. Fortunately for almost everyone, he refused to do so.

Consider 100,000 posts, if you will. As Barney will attest, numbers become difficult for the human mind to compute as they grow larger. If each of those posts took one minute to compose (and many of them took Jules considerably longer) it would take 69 days, 10 hours and 40 minutes to complete the task in one unbroken sitting. It has taken me over ten years to complete a busy 25,000 posts, so I find the thought of 100,000 posts simply mind blowing. And we have not even considered the fact that the majority of site earnings has been donated to Lincoln City FC.

I met Jules through my own membership of the site and I now count him as a close friend. I am sure many of you feel the same, even if you have never met him. Many members have stated how the site helped them through the darkness of the pandemic and through difficult times in their own lives, and I think that is his real achievement. To help other people from a position of personal adversity is the mother of all accomplishments, and all too often flies under the radar.

All he has to do now is reach 200,000.

A marvellous achievement. Not only the 100,000 but the continued relevance and high profile of the forum and the serious amount of money donated to the Imps.

Well done Jules - and many, many thanks for all that you have done and continue to do.

Come on you Imps!!!!!!©

Not just the quantity of posts you've submitted Jules that is noteworthy but the way the whole site is run.
A few posters will come and go and you'll never please everyone but generally it's a place where we can all say our piece without fear of being laughed at, castigated or banned.
I would be the first to admit my footballing expertise hovers between poor to non-existent (although it is growing now I actually watch the game) but feel whatever I post some people will accept it and some won't, but I never feel uncomfortable and that I have posted something foolish, even if it is.
It's a great place to still learn and find out information Imps related, all in one place, without trawling through twitter, facebook and whatever social media sites younger people use.
Great job, well done and hope it continues for a long time.(y)

How many people can say that they have given away over £30,000.00 in 12 years?

£30,000.00 that helped keep a Football Club going when it was on its knees, and also went towards several charities that mean something to that Football Club? £30,000.00 above and beyond the cost of season tickets, rail travel, etc.

I can, and just for once I'm going to blow my own trumpet and say I'm proud of what I've achieved. What I will also say is I should not be made to feel guilty for no longer giving all of that money away.

All of this acheived against the odds. I have suffered from anxiety and depression for over 15 years.

Take a step back and realise just how bloody hard it was to acheive all of that versus anxiety and depression. I've had my crap moments over the years, which represent what? 1% of my time involved?

There really needs to be a far better understanding of anxiety and depression and how it affects things such as decision making.

Well done Jules 👏. Despite all the ups and downs you have built and keep this site running amazingly. When you look at the ‘league table’ for forums and their use/membership the Imps forum is right up there as one of the most used, including Premiershite and Championship clubs. That is testament to your efforts and keeping it topical and informative. As someone who emigrated some 19 years ago I miss seeing the Imps regularly ‘in the flesh’, though I watch almost every game on I-Follow, but often this site is ahead of the club website in news and (apart from the occasional poster) I love the exchanges on here. I would be lost without the forum and that is testament to you and the endless hours of work you do for it. I for one appreciate it hugely - thanks Jules 👏

Most excellent Jules - especially in light is the difficulties that you face and have overcome.

Keep up the good work matey - and bear in mind that you've worked so hard for the portion of the proceeds that your efforts have earned

Come on you Imps!!!!!!©

Some innings!

As many of you will be aware, Jules has been running VLC for well over a decade. When he assumed control, the site was neglected and drifting aimlessly; with the support initially of family and friends, he slowly but surely dragged it back despite the shadow cast by relegation from the Football League and those six years in purgatory. To have developed an active membership against that depressing backdrop is no mean achievement, and he did it through an astonishing personal commitment. Given his own well-publicised struggles with mental health and the efforts of those who did not wish to see him succeed, he would have been forgiven for throwing in the towel long ago. Fortunately for almost everyone, he refused to do so.

Consider 100,000 posts, if you will. As Barney will attest, numbers become difficult for the human mind to compute as they grow larger. If each of those posts took one minute to compose (and many of them took Jules considerably longer) it would take 69 days, 10 hours and 40 minutes to complete the task in one unbroken sitting. It has taken me over ten years to complete a busy 25,000 posts, so I find the thought of 100,000 posts simply mind blowing. And we have not even considered the fact that the majority of site earnings has been donated to Lincoln City FC.

I met Jules through my own membership of the site and I now count him as a close friend. I am sure many of you feel the same, even if you have never met him. Many members have stated how the site helped them through the darkness of the pandemic and through difficult times in their own lives, and I think that is his real achievement. To help other people from a position of personal adversity is the mother of all accomplishments, and all too often flies under the radar.

All he has to do now is reach 200,000.
Only 97,066 to go. Looks like you're all stuck with me!

Well done Jules, and thank you. Always a well structured site which is easy to navigate and find interesting topics. You make my train journeys and long dog walks much more interesting! You make a positive difference in more ways than you know