Interesting News Around the Football League | Page 2 | Vital Football

Interesting News Around the Football League

Good shout Trev.
I’ll add.
Plymouth fans have turned on their manager and players already, just a few games into the season.
Last season they thought they was Barcelona and Shuey was better than Pep.
A bit of a struggle in a higher division and the fickle fans turn.
They have nowhere near the budget to compete with most championship teams and should be pleased just to stay up.

You reckon they might cut him some slack after today's result?

You reckon they might cut him some slack after today's result?
He’ll get a one match reprieve if their fans are anything like some of ours.
Second in the league, a very good start and some are still calling for the manager’s head.
I question what is the definition of success these days?
Probably, if we are still top three at Christmas, some will be saying that we should be ten points clear.

I question what is the definition of success these days?
In football terms, success is based on results, usually at the end of a season, not in September. If we’re still top three at the end of the season, I don’t give a toss about anything else - however, I think it’s naive to even consider it a possibility based on our current mentality.

In football terms, success is based on results, usually at the end of a season, not in September. If we’re still top three at the end of the season, I don’t give a toss about anything else - however, I think it’s naive to even consider it a possibility based on our current mentality.
I don’t understand what you mean about mentality?
Notts County are top and had 11 attempts on goal, with 6 on target.
Gillingham, second, had 15 attempts on goal, with 5 on target.

It’s not like the team are sitting deep and defending.

That’s exactly what I mean, so thanks for making my point better than I could myself. The mentality surrounding our attacking players is weak - all those chances and one goal (from a centre back). Notts County scored 4/11 chances (4/6 on target). We scored 1/15 (1/5 on target). They are playing to win.

We have a clean sheet/1-0 mentality at home, and clean sheet/0-0 mentality away from home - we could already see it for ourselves and Turner confirmed it today. Then when we do fall behind, we don’t have the composure to take the chances that come our way. I am comforted somewhat by the fact in the past couple of games we’ve created more than we had in the previous seven games combined, but as our mentality is negative, the likes of Bonne have no confidence in front of goal. It’s as if so much focus in training/tactics goes into not conceding that the forwards get forgotten about.

Teams generally find their own style of play. There’s no right or wrong, but when you focus on a positive style, when you go behind, you can put faith in yourselves that your style will prevail. You can’t do that when you have a 1-0 mentality - as when you go behind (as everyone does sometimes), you have no clue how to play, as demonstrated by the number of times we’ve come from behind under Harris (or not).

Oh I get it now .
Our forwards miss on purpose because of the clean sheet mentality.
All makes sense now.
Cheers
That’s not the point, if it gets banged in to you all week that you must not concede the first goal and secondly you must score the first, when neither of those things happen heads drop and it’s actually harder to get back in to the game.

It’s entirely different from telling players to ‘go for it’ from the off, which we’ve seen in the various cup games, and let them play with a modicum of freedom.

Today was Very unusual for Gills though in the amount of shots we had. Often it’s been one shot on target and one goal, (which has been enough previously).

Oh I get it now .
Our forwards miss on purpose because of the clean sheet mentality.
All makes sense now.
Cheers
No, the forwards don't get any chances because of our hoofball mentality.

Oh, sorry, I got mixed up - that was last's weeks whinge. New one now.

Games don't really matter anyway, as all our experts know exactly what goes on in training and pre match team talks, and our players are clearly all too mentally weak to do anything spontaneous or think for themselves on the pitch.

😂
It takes me two hours to get to Plymouth without leaving the county.

If you think Plymouth are isolated, imagine being a Guernsey FC fan. I know they are not in the Football League, Playing in Isthmian League South Central and they still have to travel and it's over 7 hours on the ferry to Weymouth.

If you think Plymouth are isolated, imagine being a Guernsey FC fan. I know they are not in the Football League, Playing in Isthmian League South Central and they still have to travel and it's over 7 hours on the ferry to Weymouth.

I've just looked at some of the other teams in their league - Marlow, Ascot, Ashford - what a schlepp

That would refer to Saturday in isolation, I don’t think the unrest would be there if those were the stats on a regular basis. The issue I believe is that more often than not we are not creating chances, it’s not unusual for us to go an entire 45 mins without having a single attempt on target. The criticism aimed at Harris is because the team are sitting deep and defending, obviously against Doncaster we were chasing the game as a result had no choice but to attack.

Jersey Bulls play in the Combined Counties League! Im guessing its the same for Guernsey that they have to pay for the oppositions travel to the island and an overnight stop!

Yes, but think of the frequent flyer miles and all the cool places Aurigny must fly to like -well, like the Channel Islands.

Jersey Bulls play in the Combined Counties League! Im guessing its the same for Guernsey that they have to pay for the oppositions travel to the island and an overnight stop!
Saw Jersey Bulls play at Fareham last season and they have a reasonable size fanbase in London. Got talking to afew and yes, them and Guernsey do have to foot the bill for away teams travelling to the CI's as part of the agreement being allowed into mainland leagues. Their fixtures use to just be Jersey v Guernsey every week according to some I spoke to.

I know Chatham have been in the same league as Guernsey a few times. I’ve always wanted Guernsey away in the FA Cup.

Saw Jersey Bulls play at Fareham last season and they have a reasonable size fanbase in London. Got talking to afew and yes, them and Guernsey do have to foot the bill for away teams travelling to the CI's as part of the agreement being allowed into mainland leagues. Their fixtures use to just be Jersey v Guernsey every week according to some I spoke to.
I like the idea of a Jersey football jersey. And, of course, if they get a re-designed strip for next year, it would be a new Jersey football jersey. I think I’ll leave it at that.