How much responsibility should our DOF | Page 3 | Vital Football

How much responsibility should our DOF

True, agree maybe with that one. But it does seem from the start Alfie would have been a very, very long shot to drop to L2. It does also appear, that we had no other irons in the fire. No alternatives if Alfie didn’t sign, which happened as soon as there was an interested party from the league above. So it was Alfie May or bust.

JCH however (I believe) was and is a complete non-starter. He has turned down (twice) big offers to remain at Peterboro where he is a star, scores for fun and much loved. And that’s big LEAGUE 1 offers. I wonder how much money he’d want to drop to a mid-range L2 side? Especially if, as suspected, there are numerous high L1 and low Champ teams will be vying for his signature.

I just hope we target a few top quality but realistic players rather than 1 star.
I wouldn`t preclude the likes of May signing for a L2 club. Look at some of the guys Wrexham & Stockport signed. We`re talking about pro-footballers, for most, if the money`s right, they`ll sign.

None of us knows what budget the Gallinsons are prepared to sink into signing players. My guess, and that`s all it is, based on believable efforts to tempt May, JCH etc to sign for us, is that our (24/25) budget to attract the right player/s is possibly a lot higher than some might think.

"Realistic" for me, is a top calibre player/s, with the caveat that any players we recruit are genuine competitors with a high battle factor. "Top quality" or "Star", doesn`t matter for me, not mutually exclusive, as long as they fit the caveated profile.

I wouldn`t preclude the likes of May signing for a L2 club. Look at some of the guys Wrexham & Stockport signed. We`re talking about pro-footballers, for most, if the money`s right, they`ll sign.

None of us knows what budget the Gallinsons are prepared to sink into signing players. My guess, and that`s all it is, based on believable efforts to tempt May, JCH etc to sign for us, is that our (24/25) budget to attract the right player/s is possibly a lot higher than some might think.

"Realistic" for me, is a top calibre player/s, with the caveat that any players we recruit are genuine competitors with a high battle factor. "Top quality" or "Star", doesn`t matter for me, not mutually exclusive, as long as they fit the caveated profile.
I think this summer will tell us whether they will put their money where there mouth is (automatic promotion has been the stated aim).
They did it in the January when they first arrived, but then we were told they were extenuating circumstances and it was soley to ensure we didn’t drop out of the league hence we had “overpaid”.
2 largely underwhelming transfer windows have followed, January more so than the summer window admittedly.
The odd good player has been signed, but the key deficiencies were not sufficiently addressed.
Clemence has said that will change this summer so let’s hope he’s right.

I believe we might have already changed our focus away from players like Alfie May .Looking towards more younger more sustainable options.After all if Andrews does well we will almost certainly get substantial bids for him .Alfie May would have been a short term fix and almost certainly loss making in terms of financial gain and loss.
Targeting the next Simeon Jackson and maybe a similar young up and coming midfielder and winger would offer a very high likelihood of a return on the investment without spending any more funds over the same period that Alfie May and other senior players would have been previously contracted.

I believe we might have already changed our focus away from players like Alfie May .Looking towards more younger more sustainable options.After all if Andrews does well we will almost certainly get substantial bids for him .Alfie May would have been a short term fix and almost certainly loss making in terms of financial gain and loss.
Targeting the next Simeon Jackson and maybe a similar young up and coming midfielder and winger would offer a very high likelihood of a return on the investment without spending any more funds over the same period that Alfie May and other senior players would have been previously contracted.
Reading other posts it seems that our policy regards development is a little unclear at the moment.

I`m all for developing young talent, Chris, but, for us in 24/25, our focus has to be promotion and, with a pragmatic glance at those who`ve gone up this time around, signing the right calibre players to achieve that ambition. Short-term fix might do, though in order to sign the "right" player/s GFC might, in some cases, need to offer multi-year contracts.

Reading other posts it seems that our policy regards development is a little unclear at the moment.

I`m all for developing young talent, Chris, but, for us in 24/25, our focus has to be promotion and, with a pragmatic glance at those who`ve gone up this time around, signing the right calibre players to achieve that ambition. Short-term fix might do, though in order to sign the "right" player/s GFC might, in some cases, need to offer multi-year contracts.
We should be looking at the likes of Langstaff (Notts County) and Evans at Newport, proven goalscorers at this level.

We should be looking at the likes of Langstaff (Notts County) and Evans at Newport, proven goalscorers at this level.
Will Evans at 26 would I believe fit into both categories a player potentially that could improve.Also I feel it is important that we sign someone who genuinely looks at Gillingham as a step in the right direction. A player excited by the prospect of playing for us .This I believe totally eliminates players many big name signings.

No chance I'm afraid.
As I mentioned we need a excitement next season. I don't get that from the current group.A established goalscoring forward might well end up as another player coasting on past deeds. Another Tommy Johnston we don't need.Getting a players who genuinely want to play for us is ad important as ability for me.We badly need a imput of hunger into the team .Ideally leaders as well.But the most important factor has to be that drive and energy get in a few with that passion it will spread throughout the team.

Yeah, what we really need is 'sustainable' players who have good analytics.
Alternatively would it be possible to identify a high quality footballer with a proven goalscoring record?
Personally I couldn't care less how many yards he runs and how many back passes he completes so long as he puts the ball in the sodding net.