FA cup replays - gone | Page 4 | Vital Football

FA cup replays - gone

Everyone will have their own experiences, however i expect the stats will bear out vastly in favour of premier league sides.

Attendance wise, it's 19.2m non prem vs 15.3m prem in 22/23, however can you imagine how many extra millions of fans there are who sit on the sofa watching their team on TV every weekend, who may only go 2/3 times a season.

Unfortunately, whilst we might call sofa fans "not real fans", they pay for a Sky and TNT subscription, and TV money is the main funder of football, so they are the fans who frankly matter more to those in charge at the top.

Everyone will have their own experiences, however i expect the stats will bear out vastly in favour of premier league sides.

Attendance wise, it's 19.2m non prem vs 15.3m prem in 22/23, however can you imagine how many extra millions of fans there are who sit on the sofa watching their team on TV every weekend, who may only go 2/3 times a season.

Unfortunately, whilst we might call sofa fans "not real fans", they pay for a Sky and TNT subscription, and TV money is the main funder of football, so they are the fans who frankly matter more to those in charge at the top.

And there are also many fans who opt to go and support their local non-league teams each week as well. The cumulative attendance for all non-league games every weekend willl be fairly high. Although i accept that "supporting" a certain team and "going to watch" a certain team is not necessarily the same thing.

can you imagine how many extra millions of fans there are who sit on the sofa watching their team on TV every weekend, who may only go 2/3 times a season.
I didn't realise iFollow was so popular?!

But yes, quantifying supporters is a bit of a red herring if you're not also clarifying what you mean by 'support' (at all levels, I think there's also a lot of pearl-clutching about the financial importance of the FA Cup from people who would only ever bother turning up for a 'glamour' tie)

The real oddballs are the 1.5% who claim to be 'general football fans without a particular team'.

And then there is non league football

We have changed from viewing fans as those that go and watch football to those who watch on screens. Consequently the screen watchers now hold the attention of the sponsors, streaming and TV companies.

Would you think it possible that the EFL and NL clubs threaten a boycott of the FA cup next season leaving it to the semi pro clubs and the PL.
Nothing for the BBC or ITV to cover may draw attention.

Would like to see all clubs eligible to boycott it. Send a real message to the FA. The FA's latest statement backs up just how out of touch they are.

Hope ALL clubs outside the PL down to grass roots stick together on this.

As has already been pointed out 729 teams enter the competition and 20 make the decision
Thought the cup was ideal for these clubs to give fringe and young players a game
If it’s that much of a problem scrap the league cup or whatever they call it these days

Also if they’re so overstretched why do they enter their youth teams into the pointless cup which none of us want to play in

Why from round one? I can't see many teams being impacted by the extended european comps. Strange decision

I think it’s getting obvious they will come to the bargaining table and agree to scrapping replays after round 3 when they all enter. Forcing the EFL to give way on some other points during the negotiations.

Job done 🙄

Would like to see all clubs eligible to boycott it. Send a real message to the FA. The FA's latest statement backs up just how out of touch they are.

Hope ALL clubs outside the PL down to grass roots stick together on this.

Actions not words.

If the football league is serious every club needs to boycott the FA Cup.

The hypocrisy about too many games for the "elite" is total bollox as

(1) They have squads big enough to field about three teams
(2) They all play meaningless (other than marketing promotion) world tours.

How about this at the end of long premier league season and just before the Euro's......

" Newcastle United will travel to Australia following the conclusion of the Premier League season in May to take on Tottenham Hotspur and the A-League All Stars in Melbourne.

Clubs need to get together and boycott. The only last resemblance of "magic" of the FA cup was the underdog away day at one of the big boys.

Now more than ever it literally could safeguard a clubs future.

Clubs need to get together and boycott. The only last resemblance of "magic" of the FA cup was the underdog away day at one of the big boys.

Other types of FA Cup magic are available.

Also worth noting this particular type of magic would only be slightly affected by the removal of replays.