Saint Hess Day | Vital Football

Saint Hess Day

OneSirKeefy

Vital Football Hero
Club have posted its 24 years ago today since THAT goal in the play off at Stoke.

Looking at these highlights it’s amazing we didn’t win that first leg 3-5. Also don’t remember hearing their manager cry as much as he did about the added time. 10x how much we cried v City 😂

Enjoy -

Club have posted its 24 years ago today since THAT goal in the play off at Stoke.

Looking at these highlights it’s amazing we didn’t win that first leg 3-5. Also don’t remember hearing their manager cry as much as he did about the added time. 10x how much we cried v City 😂

Enjoy -

Made me smile watching that again, it's the only Gills play-off leg I've ever missed in my time as a fan, I was grounded for some forgotten infraction and wasn't allowed to go.

What made that goal even sweeter was it was their time wasting that meant the extra time & the fact they had the nerve to announce the ticketing for the Wembley final........then bosh, have that & take a bow Sir Hess

That has got to be one of the most important goals in GIlls recent history for me 😊

And then, immediately after, with the final whistle, the PA plays Alright Now by Free, which all of us in the away end sung en masse, it was great great fun!

Fair play to Stoke, after their 2nd goal in the 5th minute or whatever, that's the loudest I've ever heard a stadium ever, and all the harsher as a Welshman when they were signing Delilah

I really don’t think anything will ever top that moment for me as a gills fan.
It surely was a great moment Nibbles and one never to forget however I think Andy Thomson's goal against Wigan at Wembley is surely on a par with it. My wife thought I was having a heart attack when the ball went in because initially, I went very quiet indeed until it sank in..... then I took off like an ADHD patient on E-numbers. After the match I cried.....What a sad bugger I was.

Great clip. I arrived, along with a few hundred other Gills fans, with us a couple of goals down (and resigned to another season in the third tier) due to a train breakdown - had to get a cab from Coventry. Did I hear right? Peter Thorn 20 goals since March. Our entire teams's scored 20 goals since March - 2023!

Such a shame that our most memorable period as a football club has such poor quality footage.

The thing I remember most about that day was the noise levels at the Britannia, it was ferocious. Just a few weeks after that stunning 2-2 game at Millwall which remains the best atmosphere I think I've witnessed, it was a hell of a time to be a part of the club.

Just a few weeks after that stunning 2-2 game at Millwall which remains the best atmosphere I think I've witnessed, it was a hell of a time to be a part of the club.

The seething, palpable wall of venom and glee that greeted Millwall's second goal that day is like nothing I've seen or heard since.

The chance for both tiers of the away end to return it in absolute spades when Ty and Hess scored crackers to level before halftime was also a high point for me as Gill.

Such a shame that our most memorable period as a football club has such poor quality footage.

The thing I remember most about that day was the noise levels at the Britannia, it was ferocious. Just a few weeks after that stunning 2-2 game at Millwall which remains the best atmosphere I think I've witnessed, it was a hell of a time to be a part of the club.

Jesus yeh, went to that too. We were 2-0 down after 5 minutes then too, before coming back. Incredible atmosphere at the den, and an amazing come back from that side. God how much would players like Paul Smith, Hessy, Ty Gooden, Asaba et al cost in today's market.

Jesus yeh, went to that too. We were 2-0 down after 5 minutes then too, before coming back. Incredible atmosphere at the den, and an amazing come back from that side. God how much would players like Paul Smith, Hessy, Ty Gooden, Asaba et al cost in today's market.
Sometimes you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone. Incredible memories. Like some have said, maybe it’s the nostalgia of youth, but I personally have very little doubt that a team of that quality would make life better however old you are!

Absolutely agree with you. I also think it was probably the best Gillingham side I have ever seen.... and I go back to the very early 70's.

Enjoy -

Definitely a trip I will never forget.And possibly my all time favorite goal definitely up in the top three or four.

I remember that loon Stoke fan who ran pretty much half the length of the pitch to take on the whole Gills end on his own. Was stopped at the last minute by their keeper. Great game, brilliant atmosphere.

It surely was a great moment Nibbles and one never to forget however I think Andy Thomson's goal against Wigan at Wembley is surely on a par with it. My wife thought I was having a heart attack when the ball went in because initially, I went very quiet indeed until it sank in..... then I took off like an ADHD patient on E-numbers. After the match I cried.....What a sad bugger I was.

Taking a step back, Thomson’s Wembley goal is THE defining moment in GFC history.

Taking a step back into the moment, the sheer elation, the sudden endorphin release, the sudden restoration of hope replacing what was a depressing sense of deja vu and the crazy prolonged screaming celebration of that Hess goal in front of a hostile, smug and prematurely celebratory Britannia stadium is streets ahead of Thommo’s goal.