Post Brexit (n/g) | Page 61 | Vital Football

Post Brexit (n/g)

And now George Eustice admits that the Australia trade deal is crap for the UK. Brexit or Remain it's increasingly obvious that we have made a complete Horlicks of leaving the EU. It won't get better until ideology gives way to practicality. I expect us to be in another and higher division before that comes to pass.
Surely the freedom and control we are now enjoying is well worth it?:rolleyes:

No one has ever been able to adequately explain what regaining Sovereignty means (in the modern world of trade agreements and international laws) , guess it's a bit late now :cry:

Call upon the Government to hold a Public Inquiry into the impact of Brexit

The benefits that were promised if the UK exited the European Union have not been delivered, so we call upon the Government to hold a Public Inquiry to assess the impact that Brexit has had on this country and its citizens.

It is time that the people of this country were told the truth about Brexit, good or bad. We deserve to know how Brexit is impacting on trade, the economy, opportunities for young people and how it has affected the rights of individuals. This can only be done by an independent Public Inquiry, free from ideology and the opinions of vested interests.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/628226

"GB News viewers just voted on Brexit – and the results left host Martin Daubney speechless"

"Oh Brexit, will you ever be “done”? Will we ever be able to move on and say it all worked out in the end?
Alas, it doesn’t look that way, not by a long shot.
Even the right wing media are having to admit that the whole thing has been a flop – a challenge faced by one dumbfounded GB News presenter on Sunday morning.
The news outlet had asked viewers to vote on whether, given the chance again, they would vote “FOR or AGAINST Brexit”.
It was down to host Martin Daubney to reveal the results, which he did so, initially with smug jubilation.
That was until he actually… you know… read them, and saw they weren’t what he’d been expecting at all......"
https://www.indy100.com/politics/gb-news-brexit-vote

:yes:

Last edited:
"GB News viewers just voted on Brexit – and the results left host Martin Daubney speechless"

"Oh Brexit, will you ever be “done”? Will we ever be able to move on and say it all worked out in the end?
Alas, it doesn’t look that way, not by a long shot.
Even the right wing media are having to admit that the whole thing has been a flop – a challenge faced by one dumbfounded GB News presenter on Sunday morning.
The news outlet had asked viewers to vote on whether, given the chance again, they would vote “FOR or AGAINST Brexit”.
It was down to host Martin Daubney to reveal the results, which he did so, initially with smug jubilation.
That was until he actually… you know… read them, and saw they weren’t what he’d been expecting at all......"
https://www.indy100.com/politics/gb-news-brexit-vote

:yes:
Is that a poll of GB news viewers? If so, omg!!
How embarrassing.

If a poll of the whole nation then what I expected.

Why all the negativity? I've benefitted hugely since we left. I feel free and we now have, er...umm, errr, oh, well we can now eat our fish and chips out of newspaper so I'm free to eat ink, just like in the good old days.

Oh, I forgot, we are no longer under the control of international capitalism and can make all our own decisions, unfeterred. You know, like when our Government had a 'budget' under Truss and the International money markets disagreed with it. Oh, hang on, they trashed it so we couldn't do what we wanted after all. Oh dear.

Why did we leave the EU then? I thought it would set us free.

Have I been conned?

How's it going then Shotshy? Be honest. Total embarrassment.

Wouldn't have been too bad if some.of the versions proposed pre vote had gone through but it was won by far right nutters like Baker, so it's a shitshow.

I wasn't too bothered either way originally but made my mind up when I saw who wanted it, led by someone who actually didn't care either way (c### Johnson of course).

Should have been a proper plan and clear path in advance, much like the Irish referendum on abortion when people knew EXACTLY what they were voting for.

Come on Shotty don't make a dick of yourself, you know it's been a flop (it needn't have been).

By way of analogy, I want a Labour government but accept Corbyn wasn't a good version (and said so at the time - although not as bad as the disaster that did win).

How's it going then Shotshy? Be honest. Total embarrassment.

Wouldn't have been too bad if some.of the versions proposed pre vote had gone through but it was won by far right nutters like Baker, so it's a shitshow.

I wasn't too bothered either way originally but made my mind up when I saw who wanted it, led by someone who actually didn't care either way (c### Johnson of course).

Should have been a proper plan and clear path in advance, much like the Irish referendum on abortion when people knew EXACTLY what they were voting for.

Come on Shotty don't make a dick of yourself, you know it's been a flop (it needn't have been).

By way of analogy, I want a Labour government but accept Corbyn wasn't a good version (and said so at the time - although not as bad as the disaster that did win).
It doesn’t matter anymore.
The voters voted for leaving the EU.
That’s democracy.
If anyone feels that strongly about it, form a political party and campaign to join the EU.
If anyone can’t be arsed to do that, then stop whinging about it.
It’s an argument that’s over.
If Scotland decides to leave the UK, will the losing side whinge on ad infinitum because they don’t like the result?
Probably.

The reality vs the expectation means many Leavers are now as disillusioned as Remainers were 6 years ago. Foreigners are still crossing the channel but the UK economy is 4% worse off as a direct result of dumping the single market. An unsustainable cost to British business and they are now demanding an impact review and at long last that is being discussed in the mainstream.
Those shouting 'You lost, get over it!' are invariably pensioners or those who are less personally affected by the undisputed financial hit of leaving the EU. So, it may take a few years but rejoining the single market is starting to look more likely. It won't be this government that does it and Starmer has said he won't either but as soon as rejoining the SM becomes palatable and a clear vote winner (and it is already heading that way 56% v 44%) then one of the parties will surely adopt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: PuB
It doesn’t matter anymore.
The voters voted for leaving the EU.
That’s democracy.
If anyone feels that strongly about it, form a political party and campaign to join the EU.
If anyone can’t be arsed to do that, then stop whinging about it.
It’s an argument that’s over.
If Scotland decides to leave the UK, will the losing side whinge on ad infinitum because they don’t like the result?
Probably.

And yet the brexiteers set out their stall to fight the referendum in 1974 lied and whinged to get their own way ever since, until they finally conned enough people to finally get their way.
The argument is far from over. You havent sorted out northern Ireland yet.
I presume by form a political party you mean form a small pressure group within a major political party and hold it to ransom.
What's sauce for the goose.....

And yet the brexiteers set out their stall to fight the referendum in 1974 lied and whinged to get their own way ever since, until they finally conned enough people to finally get their way.
The argument is far from over. You havent sorted out northern Ireland yet.
I presume by form a political party you mean form a small pressure group within a major political party and hold it to ransom.
What's sauce for the goose.....
Look, you cannot rewrite history because you don’t like it.
The U.K. has never been comfortable with being in the EU.
That single issue has bought down numerous Prime Ministers.
Even when in, we were on the periphery with numerous opt outs.
The U.K. joined a trade group that turned into a political affiliation.
That’s the inconvenient truth.
The voters were offered a once in a lifetime opportunity to vote to remain in or leave.
The majority voted to leave.
That’s it!
Now, if enough feel strongly about that, then they should form a pressure group or even political party (ukip in reverse) to get things changed.
If there was another referendum and the majority voted to go back in, then I’d hope that would be accepted.
It won’t happen in our lifetime because it’s too toxic an issue.
I fail to see how reasonable people like your good self have such a problem with democracy.
What’s the point of having a vote if you can’t handle the results?

So we have a prime minister who is not Boris and was not heavily involved in the Vote Leave campaign, giving a speech less than two days ago saying that he voted to leave, still passionately believe it was the right choice and saying that the benefits are being seen. Labour distance themselves even further from the idea of rejoining.

We are not now bound by any of the hundreds of thousands of EU laws. rules and directives and yet remoaners still pick something trivial and at random (like fish and chips in newspapers) to say we have no more freedom than when we were in the EU. Yeh, right.

They drone on endlessly about how we wrongly blamed the EU for everything, but now point to polls at a time we are dealing with the fallout from Covid, Ukraine and a world recession to blame everything on us leaving the EU. They clearly do not appreciate irony.

As Shotty says, it doesn't matter anyway, It is clearly political suicide to even suggest a Swiss type relationship, let alone rejoining.

Yep. Crossing to leave the EU to get to the UK. Doesn't make sense, neither does the fact that 5 million of the 3 million EU citizens are still here
Of course it makes sense. No government has had the desire to turn off the tap of potential tax payers. Blair even turned on more taps as the UK was crying out for workers to do the less attractive jobs British folk ignored. Even right now, hospitality, the food industry, NHS and others are bemoaning the cutting off of their source of decent European migrant workers.

Of course it makes sense. No government has had the desire to turn off the tap of potential tax payers. Blair even turned on more taps as the UK was crying out for workers to do the less attractive jobs British folk ignored. Even right now, hospitality, the food industry, NHS and others are bemoaning the cutting off of their source of decent European migrant workers.

blair did not turn on the tap in the last eastern european expansion just because workers were needed. He has stated that he persuaded the eu to expand so that those countries near to Russia could be pulled into the eu sphere and purposely weaken Russia.